PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'Shelf Life' of HM Face Packs?

Options
Hi

I'm going to make myself an oat facemask out of oats (funnily enough :rotfl: ) mixed with water, and add in some honey and sugar.

Does anyone know ho long I can keep this mix for and does it need to be kept in the fridge? If I only make as much as I need per time, they'll be weany amounts!! :rotfl:

Ta
April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250

Comments

• C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Surely it will be ok in the fridge?

I bought some oatmeal this weekend with exactly the same purpose in mind! I was just going to add some water and keep the leftovers in the fridge.

Anyone have any better recipes? Shortie, how much honey and sugar should I add? And why sugar?
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No bother, just freeze it in portions and use as needed. I've done this before with various face packs and they've been fine.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi C1aire, to be honest, I don't know how much, Iwas going to try it out and see :rotfl:

I've never made it before, but read on about.frugal (I think that's the web site, I know it's been quoted here before now) it said honey to help with acne (okay, I've not got acne, but I never managed to leave my adolescent skin behind... I've been told oily skin means I won't get wrinkles that quickly but it's not thatmuch of a consolation at the moment!). I was going to add a teaspoon at a time and just judge by 'feel' :confused:

The sugar I figured would be a good option for an exfoliant, but I'm thinking it might melt into the porridge, even if I use cold water...??

Hmm.... I'm itching to get home from work now to try it out
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Pol... I'll do that, anything I need to do when I want to use it, other than defrost and stir? Anything I need to avoid adding if I'm freezing it?
  • C1aire
    Options
    Hmmm... I might skip the sugar then and just add the honey.

I'm looking forward to it too :j

Thanks for the freezing tip - can you refreeze? It's not like I'll be eating it...
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Never tried freezing home made masks myself, will keep that in mind. My aromatherapy books just recommend making enough for one application, as it doesn't keep for more than an hour or two....course this could be because of the addition of essential oils, which makes sense, as their usefulness would be gone. However, only takes a couple of mins to make up a mask, so doubt if I would go down that road.

For moisturising face masks - use oatmeal, rice flour or ground almonds.

For cleansing face masks - use fuller's earth, kaolin or bran. (You can buy the first two at the chemist).

The finer the powdery ingredient (such as oatmeal, bran and almonds) when making the mask, the more the mask will tighten and draw grime out from the skin. So if the oatmeal etc. is a bit on the course side, whizz up in food processor whilst dry to "refine" it a bit. Store in an airtight container to save you doing this every time, then use as required.

Adding teaspoon of warm melted honey to a moisturising mask makes it more effective.
    Also, any face mask will be more drawing on the pores if heated....so it's an idea to make up in a small screw top jar. Then you can place in bowl of boiled water for a couple of mins to heat through before applying.
    Apply to well cleansed skin, avoiding eye area. Leave for 10-15 mins until mask has dried. Rinse off with lukewarm water.

For moisturising mask
    Mix 6 tsp oil such as sunflower, mixed with oatmeal (or alternative) to make a thick sticky paste.

For cleansing mask
    Mix 6 tsps hot water with fuller's earth (or alternative), to make a smooth thick paste.

For a cleansing exfoliator you can use the same ingredients....just use less water, and work into skin for about a minute, rinse off.

Have not added details of essential oils, as not sure if I'm allowed to post that or not. :confused:

For body scrubs you can use salt or oatmeal mixed with oil, sugar would be fine too.
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    Why are you adding sugar? I think you can ignore adding that. The granules would be harsh on the skin. :)
    TL
  • C1aire
    Options
    Anne_Marie, you're a genius, thanks. I didn't get to try it last night as was ambushed by presents that needed wrapping/making.

Maybe tonight...
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oily skin will like tomatoes, strawberries or cucumber mashed up with a little yoghurt or egg white. You only need to make a couple of spoonfuls at a time.
    Dry skins prefer honey, mayo, coconut oil and egg yolk, but don't keep so long.
    Bran and yoghurt body scrubs, kept in the fridge, will keep for a couple of weeks.
    I use fullers earth and kaolin in some of my masks, but all the above are good for using store cupboard stuff.
    Sunflower, almond, safflower or olive oils will make lovely scented bath oils when bottled with herbs like rosemary, thyme, chamomile and mint, or flowers like rose, lavender and marigold. Just keep warm for a week or two for the scent to develop.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    I've got book by Neal's Yard called "Make Your Own Cosmetics" which I highly recommend. It also tells you about skin, hair, hands, feet, etc. Very informative.

There's a good selection of books on Amazon:

How to make your own cosmetics books
    TL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills