PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Salt scrub shelf life

Options
Hi, quick question. A friend really liked a salt scrub I made up (salt, olive oil and a few drops of essential oil) and I was wondering how long it would keep made up and put in a nice jar?
CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    Not sure, but both oil and salt are used as preservatives, so I would think it would keep for a long time.
  • sheahoney
    Options
    Salt scrub, contains as thriftlady mentions 2 natural preservatives, i have my own business where i make natural products and sell them from a website, from craft fairs, word of mouth etc etc, that is how most soap makers make their salt scrubs and a recommended shelf life is 12 months. Although i have a tub i made almost 2 years and still fine to use.

Salt scrubs are better than the sugar scrubs, as sugar can go mouldy, so good choice on the salt.

And the fact you used essential oil, is good to, lime and ginger essential oils are what i use for the salt scrub and it sells very well.
  • JenniO
    JenniO Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    Have you seen the price of a jar of bath salts with lavendar in it at Mr T's? It's like £5! And darn it looked so easy to make yourself at home!
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of olive oil or oil do you use...an extra virgin one, or just a regular oil.
    I have some Clarins body scrub stuff with essential oils in, it smells and is lovely...but I can't afford to buy any more, so am using this very sparingly.

I'm sure I could do something similar.

Thanks for the tips so far and the idea.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Nova5
    Nova5 Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh - any chance of quantities please :D

What essential oils would you suggest? I have sensitive skin and most 'mild' scrubs irritate me. Always wondered about this as I'm sure a home made one without all the nasties would work a treat.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    what sort of salt? And to what consistency?

Catt xx
  • sheahoney
    Options
    JenniO - Make your own! its easy to do, and cheap, and you can then be in control of how much essential oil you use, in this case you need a few drops only.

Whatatwit - Any oil!!! seriously, even down to vegetable oil, i prefer grapeseed oil, which is cheap enough to buy in the supermarket. Add the ingredients thats on the Clarins tub and i will see if we can come up with a recipe you can try at home!!!

Nova5 - I will give you a recipe if you tell me what type of essential oils or what type you have tried in the past, and we can work on it from there! Home style would work a treat, cos you are in charge of what you put in there!

Do you have any allergies etc, or have any skin complaints? what type of smells do you like?

You tell me them, and then i will see if i can help you!

Skint_Catt - Depends on what you want to use it for? if its for say cellulite i would use epson salts, or how about this, so cheap to buy, get some sea salt, can buy from a chemist, or from the supermarket. Don't need olive oil, just any carrier oil, or any cooking oil, depends on your skin.

So do you all want to give this a try, and do you want the recipe, if so if you give me a hint on what you like and dislike, i can work it out for each of you!
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a little note that certain essential oils should be avoided in pregnancy so be careful when making these as gifts :)
  • sheahoney
    Options
    Yes that is true Floyd that is why i asked which essential oils they have used before, so i could add a guide.

Not all essential oils are suitable for use in aromatherapy. Wormood, pennyroyal, onion, camphor, horseradish, wintergreen, rue, bitter almond and sassafras are some of the essential oils that should only be used by qualified aromatherapy practitioners, if ever at all.

I would recommend using a fragrance oil rather than an essential oil, if you have never used them before, and ebay have hundreds of sellers that sell 10ml fragrance oil for approx £1.50 that would last a long time, as you'd only need about 2ml of it.

But if you decide to use essential oils, this is the info you need to keep at hand!

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/FONT]
    Which oils can be dangerous?
    Below is a list of some of the traditionally accepted contraindicated oils for specific conditions. There is little scientific research to support most of these contraindications.

Pregnancy - Basil, cinnamon, clary sage, cypress, fennel, jasmine, juniper, marjoram, myrrh, origanum, pennyroyal, peppermint, rose, rosemary, sage, savory and thyme

Breastfeeding - Mint, parsley, sage and jasmine (research has shown that jasmine inhibits milk production in lactating mothers)

High blood pressure - Cypress, eucalyptus, ginger, rose, rosemary, sage and thyme

Low blood pressure - Clary sage, garlic, lavender, lemon, marjoram and ylang-ylang

Epilepsy - Fennel, hyssop, rosemary, sage and wormwood

Care when using machinery or driving Clary sage and vertivert
    Care if drinking alcohol Clary sage.

Hope this helps, sorry i could not find the thread to add to it again, i had to ask a friend how to do a search for this thread.
  • DianaMattos
    Options
    I am going to have a go at making some!

Any ideas what kind of pots work well to keep the finished product in?

Thanks,

Di x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family