PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken Drumsticks

Options
I have got the ones with skin on. I was going to make some kentucky style chicken bits (mil left some funny looking breadcrumb looking mixture in the cupboard).

Do I need to take the skin off first? If so, what can I do with skin? I like crispy chicken skin, can I cook it by itself?
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nope, leave the skin on. the fat in it helps the chicken to cook and keeps it moist :D
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. Wasn't sure if the skin would go all nice and crispy under my breadcrumb mixture in the oven.
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    no it doesnt.....i tried this and the skin was still 'wet' when i did it in the oven

it might go crispy if you either fry it in a frying pan or deep fry it in a chip pan.

Not sure tho, but it definitely doesnt go crispy in the oven :rolleyes:
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    Oh well, I don't have a chip pan, think they're evil! Haha.

I might just take the skin off the legs then before I coat them. What a waste of skin. Maybe my cat could eat them? How should I cook them for her?
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    You could brown it off in frying pan first to crisp it up, then coat and do in oven.Not tried it myself but it may work, let us know as i have chicken drumsticks in for tea on thursday, and if yours turn out nice ill do it your way.!
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    I always skin my chicken drumsticks in an effort to be a bit healthier.

I feed the skin to the cats raw.
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
  • ashli_2
    ashli_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    To get the skin crispy in the breadcrumbs brown the legs lightly in a frying pan before baking them in the oven on a rack. ;)
    Total Original Debt: £30404.24
    Current debt: £18586.16
    Total Paid: £11857.74 38.95% :T
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    My lot really are a simple lot, so just really need the basics of how to get nice crispy chicken drumsticks in the oven. How long, temp of oven etc. Don't even really need loads of flavour, but I do have some basic ingredients. Took out 10 from the freezer, so need to cook them tonight! :eek:

Also, what can we have with them? Can't really be rice as bf won't eat rice unless there's a sauce and I didn't think you could get crispy chicken drumsticks if there was a sauce.

They have the skin on them, which I want to leave cos I lurrrvvve crispy chicken skin!
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Brush the skin with a little melted butter (or oil).

Bake them in a medium oven (gas 6 or 350° :confused:) for about 50 mins. Remove from oven, turn heat up. Brush the skins with a little more melted butter and then sprinkle them with a little salt. Put them back in the oven for 10 mins to crisp up the skin.
    Also, what can we have with them?

Home-made oven chips/wedges :D Just remember to have 10 portions of vegetables tomorrow :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • maow425
    maow425 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My lot really are a simple lot, so just really need the basics of how to get nice crispy chicken drumsticks in the oven. How long, temp of oven etc. Don't even really need loads of flavour, but I do have some basic ingredients. Took out 10 from the freezer, so need to cook them tonight! :eek:

Also, what can we have with them? Can't really be rice as bf won't eat rice unless there's a sauce and I didn't think you could get crispy chicken drumsticks if there was a sauce.

They have the skin on them, which I want to leave cos I lurrrvvve crispy chicken skin!

I'd do as above, brush with butter or margarine, then sprinkle some all purpose seasoning (or season all) and paprika over the lot, and bung it in the oven at about 200 ° for about 50 mins. just keep checking so they don't overcook or undercook, and I'd turn them about halfway through. This is what I do with chicken wings and they come out yummy and crispy. With them I'd have either a simple salad, or just some cucumber/carrot sticks, and a thousand island dip or any kind of dip you like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure