Any tips to stop condensation?

Options
How can I stop it on windows other than with a dehumidifier?

Thanks.

Comments

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    it was on how clean is your house to clean them with warm water and washing powder as the powder has enzymes in it that clean it up, I am not sure whether they meant cleans it or stops it, so maybe no help !! xxx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    Ensure adequate ventilation - i.e open them, or open the in-built vents if you have them. If you're using a gas fire, avoid using it too much as they produce large amounts of condensation.
  • Swindled_3
    Options
    place a dish of salt on the window seals, obviously its trial and error on amount of salt you use depending on size of window and how much moisture you have in the room. (this is the cheaper way of buying the plastic trays in most supermarkets or woolworths) although this are filled with crystals and in a sealed box, depends on where located and if young children would be in the area!
  • clarew
    clarew Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we just had new windows put in at the weekend. This morning i noticed our bedroom window had lots of condensation on the inside. (we had no heating on either). Should this occur? My husband said it was just as inside was hot and outside wasn't, and that he would only worry if the condensation was inside the glass panes.

Is this right, i was just suprised that all the other windows in the house,including the kids rooms were ok, just ours was misty. (and before you suggest it (!)-we weren't doing anything to make them steamy!!
    Original mortgage 185k. 2003
    Current mortgage. 65k Jan 2020
    OP £321/month-Aiming to finish August 2025 instead of October 2028 (whilst keeping the 4 dependents fed,watered,clothed,sheltered and paying for school/activities paraphernalia):rotfl:
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    and before you suggest it (!)-we weren't doing anything to make them steamy!!

Two pairs of lungs will produce more water vapour than one pair, so your room will normally be the one that is most likely to steam up. Extra ventilation + more heating is the only real way to keep it at bay apart from a dehumidifier.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with volcano,heating & ventilation is the answer.
  • John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    First no problem windows will steam up with people in the room overnight. If rads come on early under the window this will clear it

Have you a fan in the bathroom to take any moisture outside after a bath or a shower. If not this moisture will stay in the air and place itself on a cool

http://www.ace.mmu.ac.uk/eae/Weather/Older/Dew_Point.html

Help about dew point
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dehumidifier
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    We have a dehumidifier that helps but unless you have it running all night in the room (noise) will not stop windows misting.
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • Happy_Bunny_6
    Options
    We have a mobile home as an extension and this used to steam up terribly, until we took out the calor gas fire and replaced it with a wood burner.
    Even when the fire isn't lit the mobile home doesn't seem to steam up as much
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure