PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

where to buy citric acid?

Options
Anyone know where I can get citric acid as cheap as possible to make bath bombs?

thanks

Comments

• vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    You could try your local pharmacist - ours helped me out when I used to use vast quantities of bicarb for soaking nappies.
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've had no luck getting hold of citric acid (for elderflower cordial).I tried Boots and Tesco but no joy. I've got a feeling that it is impossible to get over the counter because it can be used to make illegal drugs:eek: I think I read that on here a few months ago, but could be wrong.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    my favourite Halal shop sells it, so I imagine you'd get it in any Asian grocer. didn't notice how much it was though, sorry :o

actually, I think I might be going there tomorrow, so I'll have a look & post the price when I get back :)
  • Frugal_Fox
    Frugal_Fox Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    Options
    My local chemist sells it. I used it too to make elderflower cordial. My mum had no end of problems trying to get it from the chains of chemists - try an independent chemist.

FF
    "A simple life freely chosen is a source of strength. Do not be pursuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot afford." Quaker Faith & Practice 1.02.41
  • MoneySavingSapphire_:D
    Options
    Wilkinson sells it, if you've got one, for use in wine making. Hope that helps!
    Returning MoneySaver, now furiously saving for a house deposit...
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Any one who sells wine making kit will sell citric acid......I get mine from Wilco's......

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Badgergal
    Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    My friend buys it from a soapmaking site in bulk.

It is getting harder to find because it is a favourite ingredient for terrorists apparently and since the bombs here in London last year it has disappeared from shelves...
  • ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    My sister and her OH work for a company that makes and sells cleaning chemicals....they sell huge containers of the stuff! Suffice it to say I have enough citric acid and bicarb to last until the next century!

So failing all the above options try an industrial cleaning company!
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Badgergal wrote:
    My friend buys it from a soapmaking site in bulk.

It is getting harder to find because it is a favourite ingredient for terrorists apparently and since the bombs here in London last year it has disappeared from shelves...
    I think it's more likely to be Druggies our local shops don't want coming in looking for citric acid. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]

Safety:
    Always use new sterile needles. Sharing any drug injecting equipment (works) can easily lead to HIV and other diseases carried in the blood (such as hepatitis B and C) being passed on. Works are not just the needle and syringe but include spoons, mixing dishes, filters, water and citric acid.

We get ours from the Wholefood shop but it is under the counter, rather than on the shelves so you have to ask for it, and no doubt would be told they didn't stock it if the owner didn't want you to return.
    [/FONT]
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    HI
    Drug addicts use citric acid to cut their drugs - soap making suppliers will sell it here is one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure