cold dinners in this weather? Tips please..

All this week i've been giving the kids salads and cold meals, i'm stuck for suggestions. i don't want the oven on if i can help, it's so hot, i just want to make a simple meal for us all.

Tips please :D

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    We've been eating sliced tomatoes from the garden, cubed cheese and salad dressing.

How about sliced veggies with dips like houmous and tzatziki?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    wigginsmum wrote:
    We've been eating sliced tomatoes from the garden, cubed cheese and salad dressing.

How about sliced veggies with dips like houmous and tzatziki?

I'll see what Waitrose has in then :D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Kimberly,

There are some lovely summer meal ideas on these older threads:

food for hot weather

Salad recipes required...

can you help with my summer meal planner?

Pink
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Stir frys are quick and easy - only need the gas ring on for 5 mins so won't overheat the kitchen.

Otherwise quiche, cold boiled potatoes, potato salad, rice salad, cold pasta salads - can cook all in advance early in day and eat cold at tea time.
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    In this weather all I want to do is pick at some light, snacky food. How about putting a few picnic-type bits and pieces on the table and everyone can help themselves - some cold chicken, ham, or cold cooked salmon, coleslaw, cheese, olives, bread, fruit, etc.
    4 May 2010 <3
  • looneyleo
    looneyleo Posts: 516 Forumite
    How about cous cous with grilled fresh tuna (or any other meat) and salad/veg. We love the Ainsley Harriott range of cous cous. Takes 5 mins in microwave and taste gorgeous. Any left overs can be used next day for lunch. whole meal takes 10 mins is healthy and easy to eat in the hot weather.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Thank you guys, i did another salad in the end, but will do some of your choices next week :)
  • sallypurple
    sallypurple Posts: 439 Forumite
    My kids love tortilla wraps,
    We had spicy chicken bits with sour cream and salad last night, but they also like them with tuna, sweetcorn and mayonaise: or with chilli, salad and grated cheese.:D
    :snow_laug HM Christmas 2010
    Knitted squares - [STRIKE]6[/STRIKE]13. pages of ideas - [STRIKE]7[/STRIKE] 19:rotfl:
  • How about boiling up some pasta and once cold mixing it with mayo and tuna and spring onions or chopped tomato, add a few freshly chopped herbs if you have. You can serve it with crusty bread
  • homersimpson_3
    homersimpson_3 Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    snacky foods-sandwiches- flans- pasties- various veggie and dips- tortilla wraps-cereals if you're desperate- fruit salad- pasta and anything you want- mixed rice- cold meats/alternative meat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure