A tricky one...

Options
Here'a a tricky situation, just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this one.

On Thursday the 4th March I was called into a meeting and advised that my role was to be made redundant 'soon, from say, March 20th', and given an illustration of the redundancy package I would receive if this was to happen (2 weeks redundancy, plus a months PILON). I was also advised that the company were keen to find a place for me within the business and given details of open roles to apply for.

Over that weekend I received a letter confirming the redundancy in writing, and stating that my role would be redundant from March 20th.

I immediately submitted an application for another role within the company, and had my first interview this week with my prospective line manager. At the end of the interview I was told that I would need to have a second interview with their line manager.

Now as it stands, I am 5 days away from finishing my current role and I am aware that due to the person I need to have a second interview with being away from the business, the likelyhood of having a second interview and job offer by Friday is slim. So my question is - what happens then? My employment is finished and I presumably will receive my redundancy payout shortly afterwards. If the company then re-employ me in the role I have applied for at a later date, will I still be entitled to the redundancy payment, or will I have to pay it back? I am concerned about this in case there is a gap between my ending one role and starting another - I may well need to live off my redundancy payment.

I plan to speak to HR this week to clarify my position, but would appreciate advice from anyone who knows the score or has been in the same situation!

Thanks

Comments

• AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure in your case, but I had a similar case last year. My position, along with all other reps for the company, were made redundant, and we had to apply for the jobs which were then made available. Those who were made redundant got the payout, those of us hired back just moved into the new job. There's a big difference though in that there was no gap in employment - so if you do have a gap, I'm not sure on repayment of payments etc. Good luck though - didn't want to read and run :)
  • vaksam
    vaksam Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    No thanks for the info! I won't be too concerned if I can move straight into a new role, (I'd rather have continued employment than the pay-out) but if I am going to have a gap inbetween, I need to know if I've got the money to fund it, iykwim!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Did the terms given or company policy have any clawback clauses.

If there is clawback insist on getting paid for the gap.

The terms should also include outstanding holiday.

The important thing is to get continuity of employment for future redundancy.

You could ask to be put in the role on a temp basis under the 4 week trial rules for potentialy suitable alternatives

This gives time for the boss to return and decide if this is a suitable alternative.
  • vaksam
    Options
    Hi, nothing was said in the letter I received re clawback. Company Policy I will have to check up on, as I never received a company handbook (I started off with the company as a temp) so this is something I will ask to be clarified at the meeting I hope to have this week.

Continuing employment is something that I'm very keen to keep, as the industry I'm in now can be quite unstable (though can't they all at present) so I will clarify this also.

I had read about the 4 week trial rules but hadn't thought about applying them in this context - thanks very much for all your help and I will let you know how I get on!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The other question is how was your selection done.

Was there a pool of people or were you the only one doing that job(or similar).
  • vaksam
    Options
    There was no selection as such, I was the only one doing my particular role in the department, and they have restructured making my job now redundant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure