Warning - Sentinel Credit Card Protection

Options
To all those with Sentinel card protection. My husband has recently had his debit card cloned and we have been told by Sentinel that their policy does not cover 'cloned' cards, only cards where the card itself has been physically stolen. This has really worried me as I thought that I was covered for all fraud to do with my credit/debit cards (I can't find anything to the contrary amongst all the small print).

If you think that you are safe from all forms of credit card fraud then you are mistaken. :confused:

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CelticStar - can you say if the card was used with a PIN?

If it was a simple case of cloning and the cloned card used with a signature, money should be returned to your husbands account forthwith.

Even if a PIN was used with the cloned card then as long as your husband complied with card T&Cs he should get his money back from the card issuer. Unfortunately disputed transactions where PINs are used are now overloading the FOS.

I put it to CPP, 'what happens when the card company suggest you've been negligent with your PIN'?'

Their reply, 'you will get your money back'

I'd like to see this in black and white.
  • CelticStar
    CelticStar Posts: 548 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and the PM James. I'll try and explain what happened so that I don't miss anything out. My husband still has his card (though of course it has now been stopped and a new card issued) which is a chip and pin card. There is no way anyone could have got hold of his pin number as he doesn't tell anyone his pin and he even changes the original pin to something else when it comes through the post. We suddenly found a charge going through our account for approximately £700 which was an amount converted from euros, on the following two days two further charges went through although the last one was rejected by the bank as the cards had been stopped. It appears that the card was used on three different Dutch websites (no, not those kind of Dutch websites ;) ) so it looks like they have the card details but not the pin because I just can't see how they could possibly have the pin.

HTH. Thanks for your reply and the info that you gave me, it was much appreciated. :D

C
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    Options
    Your husband's beef is with his card issuer.

Quote the Banking Code to them (They should refund his account)

The Banking Code article:

• If someone uses your card details without your permission and your card has not been lost or stolen, you will not have to pay anything

Hope this helps.
  • lkoky
    lkoky Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks goodness I cancelled my Sentinel scheme jsut a few month ago.

Now I am even more diligent with my wallet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure