Great 'Old New Year’s outfit' Hunt

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 22 December 2009 at 9:14PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Christmas and New Year’s eve are round the corner, so it’s time to think about the perfect outfit to wow the crowds. But instead of going out and buying yet another dress, we’re asking MoneySavers what their best tips are to ‘pimp up’ an outfit they already have.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2009 at 12:44PM
    Change the accessories but keep the same outfit - most people won't remember what you were wearing if the party was good!

Most recent example of 'pimping':
    - we dyed DD's shoes red this year (were cream) - they'll be black next!

- Being able to sew helps, I've shortened a few dresses into tops to go over leggings or trousers

- I've got a lovely embroidered shawl that makes my basic black dress look very different
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • I've jazzed up a v plain LBD with lengths of fringing sewn around the arm seams and whacked some shoulder pads in - V Gaga esque - and I can undo it all for when shoulderpads are yet again a sad memory
  • Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2009 at 12:45PM
    A plain black dress in a style that suits you is easily dressed up by one or more of the following:

- belt
    -coloured tights
    - necklace
    -shawl
    - handbag & shoes

Have a different colour scheme each year for a 'new' look!
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • I have an all occassion black wrap dress which I wear to all sorts of things from funerals, weddings, christenings, to parties... been doing it for 2 years now, and noone has said anything.

I just change the buckle over, add or take away beads sewn on arund the neckline/cuffs/skirt as is fashion and like other posters have said- buy/dye/make/borrow a few accessories in that seasons colour like bags, shawls and pretty scarves, cardis/jackets, jewellery, tights, shoes and hair bits and bobs.
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    There_Goes_Trouble Posts: 821 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2009 at 3:27PM
    OK so not quite an old outfit I've already got, but an old outfit that somebody else once had!! I just got a complete outfit last weekend from various charity shops. Jumper £3.50 (from Next) and jacket £5 (from M&S) from one shop, trousers £4 (Tesco 'Cherokee') in another shop and a belt £2 (from M&S) from a final shop. All came to £14.50 and all look good as new. I wore it all on Sat night and got loads of compliments. There's a huge amount of luck involved in charity shop shopping I know, but sometimes you just get great finds!! I recon that £14.50 for all that is just as cheap if not cheaper than buying a whole set of accessories to 'pimp up' and existing outfit!
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2009 at 12:42PM
    Embellishments are really easy to add and are really in style right now. Some things I can think of to bring a simple black dress up to date are:

Any kind of embellishment on the shoulders - sequins, beads, pearls

Exposed zips - you can buy zips from a haberdashery shop. Stitch along one side of the zip and pull the thread when you get to the end so the zip curls up. Arrange into a rose shape and attach in a cluster like a corsage

Shoulder pads - as someone else mentioned, just stick them in and away you go! You could also arrange ribbon or buttons for a military feel

If you don't fancy getting crafty, a belt will instantly update a tired outfit. Waist cinchers are good for creating shape. If you have a plain black belt that could do with sprucing up, buy some press on studs from eBay and arrange in a pattern across the belt.

Like others have mentioned, tights are brilliant too. Lace tights against a simple black dress look wonderful and very classic.
  • I agree with There Goes Nothing, Charity Shops are the way forward. I got a gorgeous Kate Moss for Topshop black chiffon backless dress from the British Heart Foundation for £8.50 (the same one is selling second hand on Ebay at the mo for £50+, I might sell mine after I've worn it for a profit). My tip is to go to shops in small towns or well-to-do suburbs as the findings are much better - I live in a city and the ones in the city centre are rubbish!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Count yourselves lucky! -Ive agreed to go to a Goth night! Corsets are apparently standard!
    (your talking to the girl who spent the past year in sportswear!- although black variations of the stuff)
  • My tip is to go to shops in small towns or well-to-do suburbs as the findings are much better - I live in a city and the ones in the city centre are rubbish!

Totally agree.

I only really use my local shops for books and videos. Clothes mainly come from the more 'well to do' areas, you'll be amazed what the 'rich folk' will donate to charity!!

I've bought furniture from charity shops too.
  • I'd try and have a look for a small, brightly coloured silk scarf. Worn around the neck or tucked in at belt, safety-pinned somewhere on a black dress to give contrast or if you have multiple safety pins, make a shape or design using the scarf. In the past I've sewn little plastic beads from an old snapped elastic bead bracelet onto shoes to give them new life, and also worn the same dress several years in a row just with a new hairdo or different accessories. :)
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure