stuck in a meal rut

Hiya, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this.
I'm a pretty good cook (if I do say so myself) and like to think I'm quite adventurous with food, but I've just realised that I've ended up eating more or less the same meal all the time- some variation on rice with a tomato and pulses based sauce, occasionally a sheperdhess pie type affair with a tomato and pulses based sauce and potatoes, or lentil and tomato soup, or some form of stew- with, you guessed, pulses or beans and tomatoes. Obviously I add different veg to the mixes, but still, the basic idea is all the same, I wondered if anyone could come up with something more interesting, bearing in mind:
-On a tight budget, obviously (or I wouldn't be here!)
- I'm vegetarian, and not over-fond of dairy products either
- I prefer not to eat too much wheat cos I find it bloats me a bit
- I don't have huge amounts of time
-I generally eat alone about 4 nights out of seven
- I like cooking, but hate washing up!

Any suggestions would be great

xxx
"People who "do things" exceed my endurance,
God for a man who solicits insurance..." - Dorothy Parker

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bulgar Bake

Simmer the Bulgar wheat for 20 mins or until water is all absorbed
    Dice one onion and sweat off with a handful of sliced mushrooms

Mix together in a bowl with one carton of natural yoghurt and a beaten egg, top with a little grated cheese and pop in the oven until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I too am vegetarian but as I am home all day (I work evenings) I do have quite a bit of time to prepare meals. Anyway this is an idea of the sort of things I eat - hope you may be able to get some ideas.

Shepherds pie made either with just veg or veg and lentils
    Vegetable lasagne
    Spinach and mushroom lasagne
    Spicy chickpea, potato and onion pasties. I make my own pastry but you could use frozen to save time
    Chickpea and spinach curry
    Vegetable curry
    Lentil curry
    Chickpea burgers (can also be made with kidney beans or aduki beans or any other beans for that matter)
    Lentil fritters
    Roasted vegetable tart
    Pizza (sometimes just plain cheese, mushroom, tomato etc sometimes more exciting such as garlic and tomato, spinach and egg, roast vegetable)
    Goats cheese and red onion tartlets
    Mushroom and onion suet pudding
    Cauliflower souffle
    Spinach and goats cheese bread and butter pudding
    Stir fry
    Cous cous with roasted veg
    A sort of toad in the hole using veg instead of sausages (or you could use veggie sausages)

Can't think of any more at the moment but hope this is of some help
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • monkeychops
    monkeychops Posts: 172 Forumite
    lady fuschia, were the suggestions any help? I thought you might have replied to the two posters who were kind enough to reply
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Catkins ideas have certainly given me some inspiration for no-meat meals,thanks:)
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Courgette and herb omlette - saute sliced and quartered courgette, mix chopped herbs with a couple of eggs a little seasoning and a splash of water. Add egg mix to saute courgette and gently fry until cooked. Serve with some kind of potato or salad.

If you eat fish then it a great time for salads. Hot lemon salmon salad -marinate the salmon with some lemon juice, white wine and seasoning. prepare a mixed salad using lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery peppers, red onion. Saute Salmon in marinade with some sliced advocado or some peas and sweetcorn. Substitute salmon with tuna, prawns etc or substitute lemon with lime. For a bit of bit add a little chilli.

Stuffed peppers - stuff with savoury rice or coucous made with veg and maybe a little sheeps feta.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Catkins - when you get some free time, pretty please would you type out your recipes on the recipe thread for us. [IMG]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/23/23_31_7.gif[/IMG]:D They sound all so :drool:
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Aussielass, I will try and put some recipes (if not all) on the recipe thread. It's not that I don't want to but I tend not to weigh ingredients so will have to have a bit of think about my recipes. I am hopefully going away tomorrow until Friday but will try and put them on at the beginning of next week.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Thanks people- sorry, I only just managed to get back to this board! I'm going to try some of these. The chickpea burgers sound nice- might have to wait until the weekend to try some of the things out for the first time in case I end up making a mess!
    "People who "do things" exceed my endurance,
    God for a man who solicits insurance..." - Dorothy Parker
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    I posted a couple of veggie recipes on Black Saturns thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=214747
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure