told job was given to someone more qualified then readvertised.

Options
hii everyone,
i went for interview few days ago and got back email 3 days later thanking me for attending the interview but unfortunately i didnt get the job.
when i asked for feedback/reason why i didnt get the job, i was told the job went to some one more qualified than myself.
"fair enough " i said to my self. however today i found the same job been re-advertised again with an additional comment "previous applicant need not to apply"
any one with experience with this sort of situation.?is there anyway i can challenge them.? i meet ALL there essential requirements/qualification plus most of the desired requirements

thanks
are you thinking what iam thinking :T

Comments

• Willsnarf1983
    Options
    I guess you could re-send a letter and ask but I don't think its going to gain you anything and you would be best of ignoring it and applying for other jobs

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just walk on...its just one of those thing in life
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    tiger wrote: »
    hii everyone,
    i went for interview few days ago and got back email 3 days later thanking me for attending the interview but unfortunately i didn't get the job.
    when i asked for feedback/reason why i didnt get the job, i was told the job went to some one more qualified than myself.
    "fair enough " i said to my self. however today i found the same job been re-advertised again with an additional comment "previous applicant need not to apply"
    any one with experience with this sort of situation.?is there anyway i can challenge them.? i meet ALL there essential requirements/qualification plus most of the desired requirements

thanks

The person offered the job may have turned it down when offered (or they could have made it up to make the conversation with you less awkward).
    And they obviously don't think you are the person they are looking for.

Unless you can demonstrate discrimination, which from what you say sounds unlikely, e.g. they have asked questions that they shouldn't have (such as about marital status, children, religion etc), there is nothing you can do.

Employers are entitled to decide who they want to hire, as long as they don't act illegally. And re-advertise if they don't find someone suitable is totally legal.
    The fact that your application meets all the criteria is irrelevant if you failed your interview.

You could ask for their notes of the interview, under the Data Protection Act, but it would be pointless. I know someone who did and got back neatly written notes that just said she was crxp at everything and did not reflect the interview at all. They just covered they assex.

If I were you I would focus my energy on finding a job. You could ask for more detailed feedback, and learn from it. Rejection is hard, but in the past I have been painfully rejected but got something much much better shortly afterwards.

Good luck with your job hunt!
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hii everyone,
    i went for interview few days ago and got back email 3 days later thanking me for attending the interview but unfortunately i didnt get the job.

thanks

You may well meet the essential and desirable requirements for the role (which is probably why you got an interview), but if the interview deemed you unsuitable then so be it.

They may have lied about offering the job to someone more qualified which is wrong of them, but equally they may have offered it, and that person turned it down, hence they're needing to re-advertise.

If you're really that bothered, go back to them and say you've seen the advert, so you now realise you obviously *didn't* meet the requirements, and you'd like feedback so you can improve next time.

I'm not saying this is true of you, but I've seen of applicants who meet the requirements on paper. And then in an interview they can't demonstrate the behaviours required for the role, or their technical expertise isn't suitable, or their behaviour / manner is clearly not appropriate for the role for which they're applying.

Move on, but ask for detailed feedback so you can succeed next time. :)

EDIT: similar advice from terra_ferma. Great minds, I see... ;)

HTH :)
    KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • tiger
    tiger Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    thanks.i have applied for other jobs.only reason why i was annoyed is them saying "you did well but was given to some more qualified"
  • terra_ferma
    Options
    KiKi wrote: »
    EDIT: similar advice from terra_ferma. Great minds, I see... ;)
    KiKi

Was thinking the same. but yours better worded..... ;)
  • bristol_pilot
    Options
    It is usually not worth asking for feedback as what you are told will rarely be the truth -as in this case.

It is far easier for them to say 'someone else was better qualified' than to say what the real reason was - which could be something they thought you would argue with. They might simply not have liked you!

Move on to the next application...and don't bother with asking for feedback.
  • terra_ferma
    Options
    thanks.i have applied for other jobs.only reason why i was annoyed is them saying "you did well but was given to some more qualified"

I've been treated badly on several occasions, I've even had a job re-advertised after I had been interviewed, but while keeping as an option just in case they did not find anyone at all, not good enough to be offered the job but better than nothing. Needless to say I withdrew my application, either you are good enough for the job or your are not!

Hope it goes well for you with you next application.
  • ganonman
    ganonman Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't take it too personally. I got turned down for a job a couple of days ago with the reason:

They were impressed with my experience, my qualifications and believed I performed very well in the interview, but they weren't sure about whether I'd fit in their team and they didn't know why. (I don't have any personality issues, before you ask :rolleyes:)

This is the worst kind of turn down (IMO), as I'd prefer to know I'd done something wrong so I can work on it, but instead, I'm told I'm good enough but still can't have the job. Ah well... :confused:
    "A bank* is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain."

(*Unless it's Santander. The branch says they sent you an umbrella 3 times already and don't understand why you don't have it yet and want it back right now!!!)
  • tiger
    tiger Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    they should have simply said you are not suitable.looking back and reflecting now on the questions they were asking it looks as though i may be overqualified.not "some one more qualified" like they claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport