Calls from Creditors!

Hi

I have written two letters to Barclaycard about the possibility of deferring November's payment to 7 December, when I will make a double payment (including December's) bringing my account up-to-date. The reason I prefer writing to creditors is because I am more articulate/clear on paper and I can't then be pushed into paying more than I can. I have received numerous calls from Barclaycard, the latest being this morning, although I didn't answer them. Can anyone tell me if it is OK to do this if I have already written to them, I would prefer that they wrote back to me also?
Any advice would be much appreciated:confused:
LBM - August 2009:eek: DMP started - Jan 2010:o
Total Debt - [STRIKE]£13,000 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£11,000 [/STRIKE]£9,750

Comments

• Hi Twinkle,

I thought you had already sent the harassment letter, but i guess not.

Give this post a read (in full) - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11571485&postcount=4

It details the letters to send to stop them calling and have your phone number removed, so they have to write to you. If they fail to do so they are in breach of data protection by not removing your details, and OFT guidelines by not contacting the debtor as they have requested.

Jon
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • You are not obliged to take telephone calls from anyone. You can insist that they deal with you in writing. If you have debt issues, you may feel quite low because of it, but speaking as a solvent person, the people who I think are the lowest are those who take jobs harrassing people in debt by telephone.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    but speaking as a solvent person, the people who I think are the lowest are those who take jobs harrassing people in debt by telephone.

I can see your point, but personally I think the 'lowest' are the people or firms that employ them.:rolleyes:
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi wrote: »
    I can see your point, but personally I think the 'lowest' are the people or firms that employ them.:rolleyes:
    I take your point, except those fall outside the classification of people.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    I take your point, except those fall outside the classification of people.

True. Certain *something* do not deserve to be classified as belonging to the human race.;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,859
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    but if companys didnt have these people, no one would ever pay.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • chanz4 wrote: »

don't agree, in my case I'd be happy to pay if I was well enough to work and actually earn some money. Last time I was out of work and ill these sorts of phone calls and nasty letters used to have me in tears (til I found this fab site!). I fail to undersand how harassing and threatening a person who is exisiting on state benefit is going to make them suddenly magic up the money!!. Of course there are those who evade\avoid\fiddle (MP's anyone?) their financial obligations and resposibilities but imo these type of phone calls simply cause additional stress.
  • chanz4 wrote: »
    They can still write and take people to court. I owe nothing, but I have had harrassing debt calls. They are annoying,even demoralising. For someone who does owe, I can imagine it would sap the life out of them. It could damage their ability to hold down a job. Imagine a debt company destroying an individuals ability to earn and pay off debt.
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    chanz4 wrote: »

Who wants to pay these scum anything ? As for calling them people.
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They can still write and take people to court. I owe nothing, but I have had harrassing debt calls. They are annoying,even demoralising. For someone who does owe, I can imagine it would sap the life out of them. It could damage their ability to hold down a job. Imagine a debt company destroying an individuals ability to earn and pay off debt.

Agreed, debt companies exist because the creditor has lost hope in getting paid, so sell it on and receive some money for that. Debt companies then try and profit by going after the full amount.
    DCAs probably are more effective, but are also walking in a very grey if not black area in how they go about it, that is why OFT has launched a 12 month investigation into them.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure