They really do like to keep you in the brown stuff don't they?

Options
Ok. Background.
I have three disabled children. Autism and mobility issues.
I have been carer to my eldest (in receipt of carers allowance) for the past two years. DH was in full time employment (although working evenings and weekends to enable him to help me care for the kids too).

DH lost his job in June, he is now registered as our middle child's carer. We get income support to top up our money. Thing is he has to be choosy about the job he gets - he is still looking for work but as he needs evenings/weekends and to be free during the week to helpme then JSA was a bit restrictive.

Now, we applied for the carers for him in July, but he won't be paid until 27th October - we'll get a nice lump sum then though thankfully.

So, bills are tight and unfortunately the safety buffer we had on our account has disappeared as we've needed the money for essentials.

On Friday last week Natwest let four direct debits through four days early. I say that as I've checked with online banking and none of the direct debits put through have EVER gone through before the 15th of the month.

Of these four, they bounced three and charged £38 a pop. They did pay one of the direct debits but charged me £30 to do that. They also put a cheque through that I genuinely forgot about (so yes that was my fault). They charged another £30 for that. Then I got a £28 charge for being over my overdraft limit. So.... that's £202 of charges already. These will be taken out on the 25th of this month.

Then, we have a loan with Natwest that is due out on the 20th. They have said they will take this money on the 18th as the 20th is a Sunday. Problem is that because we've had no money since Friday we needed to buy bread, milk and butter.... and fuel to get my daughter to see her consultant tomorrow (can't cancel, he's coming down from London and her renal function urgently needs to be checked). That means we're a few pounds short of the loan payment. I asked them to consider putting the loan through two days later, they refused. They're going to bounce it and charge me £38 then put it through two days later anyway. Then three days later there will be £240 charges and there won't be the money to pay that, then the debit interest and there won't be the money to pay that.....

It's snowballing. At this rate we'll have no money for food or to cover the bills. I've not been in the situation where they've had to turn down a payment in YEARS. I just don't know what to do now.

I feel like every time we're reeling from them charging us then BAM another charge hits us, then it gets worse and worse and worse.....

Comments

• EmRayMarRhys
    Options
    Bump.... can I stop the charges being piled on top of charges? The branch says no....
  • lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Options
    Well, if the payments are going to fail anyway, cancel them!
    They can't charge you then.
    Yes, you will have to re set them up when you are able, but rather than being charged again and again for someting that will bounce anyway, cancel them and do it now.
    do you have online banking, you can do it their for most accounts.
    2 angels in heaven :A
  • EmRayMarRhys
    Options
    can't cancel payments - the loan is with natwest, the account is with natwest
    the charges are with natwest, the debit interest with natwest
    it's all money I owe them.... if you can get that :)
  • lisawood78
    Options
    So every payment that bounced was a Natwest Payment? As are all your upcoming ones?
    Hmmm, have you asked them why they took the DD's early, 2 days early is common due to weekends but 4 seems unusual.
    LLoyds in my experience are just like this, kick you when you are down so to speak.
    Sorry not to be much help, is there anyone you can borrow some money (not ideal I know!) from in the short term to stop the snowball.
    You have to get food etc for you and your family, thats first.
  • EmRayMarRhys
    Options
    No, there are two payments for o2 that were bounced and 1 for Santander - none Natwest. These three bounced payments, plus two that were actually paid, make up the £202

Because we went over the limit BUT some were paid, and we HAD to get bread, milk etc there won't be enough to cover the loan payment (to Natwest) due Friday this week... so they've said they will bounce this, pocket £38 for bouncing it then re-present it for payment on the date I've told them there will be money available to pay it (two days later).... then three days later apply the now £240 charges.

Being as my income next week is £270 it just doesn't add up, and so the cycle goes on. Charges on charges on charges.

Natwest blame the direct debit originators for the early payment - o2 and santander, and the other that went through to Petplan. I can't get through to a human being at Santander, and as for o2 they're just telling me to pay by debit card - with what???

Had I known they were going through I'd have cancelled them, as it was 4 days early I wasn't aware till I went to online banking on the Saturday morning the day after it happened.

The original early direct debits weren't Natwest, but all the ongoing ones that will cause trouble are... and they won't budge on any.

Thanks for the template letter, I will defo do that and get it into them asap to try to stop the charges going out that date.
  • lisawood78
    Options
    Good luck, there will be a way
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    Ok. Background.
    I have three disabled children. Autism and mobility issues.
    I have been carer to my eldest (in receipt of carers allowance) for the past two years. DH was in full time employment (although working evenings and weekends to enable him to help me care for the kids too).

DH lost his job in June, he is now registered as our middle child's carer. We get income support to top up our money. Thing is he has to be choosy about the job he gets - he is still looking for work but as he needs evenings/weekends and to be free during the week to helpme then JSA was a bit restrictive.

Now, we applied for the carers for him in July, but he won't be paid until 27th October - we'll get a nice lump sum then though thankfully.

So, bills are tight and unfortunately the safety buffer we had on our account has disappeared as we've needed the money for essentials.

On Friday last week Natwest let four direct debits through four days early. I say that as I've checked with online banking and none of the direct debits put through have EVER gone through before the 15th of the month.

Of these four, they bounced three and charged £38 a pop. They did pay one of the direct debits but charged me £30 to do that. They also put a cheque through that I genuinely forgot about (so yes that was my fault). They charged another £30 for that. Then I got a £28 charge for being over my overdraft limit. So.... that's £202 of charges already. These will be taken out on the 25th of this month.

Then, we have a loan with Natwest that is due out on the 20th. They have said they will take this money on the 18th as the 20th is a Sunday. Problem is that because we've had no money since Friday we needed to buy bread, milk and butter.... and fuel to get my daughter to see her consultant tomorrow (can't cancel, he's coming down from London and her renal function urgently needs to be checked). That means we're a few pounds short of the loan payment. I asked them to consider putting the loan through two days later, they refused. They're going to bounce it and charge me £38 then put it through two days later anyway. Then three days later there will be £240 charges and there won't be the money to pay that, then the debit interest and there won't be the money to pay that.....

It's snowballing. At this rate we'll have no money for food or to cover the bills. I've not been in the situation where they've had to turn down a payment in YEARS. I just don't know what to do now.

I feel like every time we're reeling from them charging us then BAM another charge hits us, then it gets worse and worse and worse.....

Can I ask you to repost the question here: https://www.legalbeagles.info/forums and I KNOW there will be people who will help you reclaim charges back under financial hardship(the NatWest I&E form is on the site with the link being here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showpost.php?p=123350&postcount=1

Apologies I did not help earlier.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • EmRayMarRhys
    Options
    I have done so, thank you so much (ex):Pnwsm
  • stressed_mummy
    Options
    I have 2 disabled children and get benefits as well we have switched from Natwest as these charges have literally taken food from us we got a basic coop account & had everything paid into there at least there are no charges!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure