PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning windows with fabric conditioner

Options
Has anyone else tried this? My sister swears by it, so I gave it a go. Just put a little fabric conditioner in some water and wipe over your window or mirror and then just wipe off with paper towels (probably the microfibre cloths would work but I haven't tried it with them). They do come up sparkling and with no smears. I don't know why I ever used spray on window cleaner before.

Comments

• mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    My mum always used to use a bit of washing up liquid in some water, it stopped the windows steaming up, this was in the days pre double glazing!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I must say that I'd never thought of that before, but it certainly sounds as if it would work. Now. . . . as my windows really need cleaning I have no option other than to try it out.

Maybe tomorrow. . . .
  • tina68
    tina68 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    i'm sure they use this method over on the Med as the sunlight apparantly shows up every smear and conditioner is smear free...think i saw it some years ago on a tv doc about a couple who moved to spain and his new venture was window cleaning
    Tina x
    on this day 23/05/1430
    Joan of Arc captured and delivered to the English
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    tina68 wrote:
    i'm sure they use this method over on the Med as the sunlight apparantly shows up every smear and conditioner is smear free...think i saw it some years ago on a tv doc about a couple who moved to spain and his new venture was window cleaning
    Tina x
    my next door neighbour uses car wash the one with the wax in as when she has finished the rain just runs off the windows..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can remember seeing a Kim and Aggie programme where they cleaned a (filthy!) tv screen with a fabric conditioner/water mix.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe that's where my sister got the idea from. :)
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is probably somewhere else on here I should think, but I used 50 50 water and vinegar the other day on my filthy horrible windows and cleaned off with newspaper. Absolutely amazing........
    Paper towels, thats much too expensive :)
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • tina68
    tina68 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    i have tried the newspaper method but it makes me cringe, the screetching on the glass.. much prefer my micro cloths
    Tina x
    on this day 23/05/1430
    Joan of Arc captured and delivered to the English
  • ageandjo
    ageandjo Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Options
    Just done mine with fabric conditioner and microfibre cloths and they look fab, no smears and smells lovely
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always do mirrors and windows with plain water and microfibre cloth they sparkle everytime and even now do the car windows with it too ......
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure