The Itemiser - A New Challenge

Taylo_2
Taylo_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
edited 1 December 2009 at 11:07PM in Debt-free wannabe
Ok, I mentioned this in my diary as I am using it as a method to make my debts seem a little less daunting and means I can take a systematic approach to clearing them with mini achievements along the way. A couple of people have mentioned that they quite like the idea so I thought it might be good to bring it to the masses, hopefully it will work for you too.

I spent a bit of time working out what is actually on my credit card, what am I still paying for? I now have a list of items and how much they were and I am attacking them one at a time until the whole debt is gone.

SO item one on my credit card is a T-shirt I bought about 2 years ago, it cost me £25 so my MSE exploits are currently working towards that first £25 and then I can pay that off my credit card once I have got there, strike it off the list and feel a little less guilty every time I wear it., then move on to the next one on the list.

If you want to add anything to the itemiser post it up below and start working away at it until it has gone, once it is I shall add the item to the list of victims and let's see how big we can make the total paid off using the itemiser!!.:money:

TOTALISER:

£398.21

Victims:
T-Shirt £25.00
Argos Bin £49.99
Batman Costume £25.00
Easyjet Flight £96.50
Petrol - £34.80
Sainsburys food - £13.02
Boozing - £18.44
Ikea bits and bobs - £25.68
M&S towels and kitchen stuff - £57.80
Next Shirt - £17.99
Autotrader ad - £17.99
Umbrella - £16.00

Members:
001 Bowski_1011
Paying it off one debt at a time!
B&Q £12.40 / £93.11

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,419
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I no longer have credit card debt, but just popping in to say that I think it is a great idea, very motivating! Having said that, if you bought a T shirt for £25, 2 years ago and you are still wearing it, it sounds like it was not bad value for money x
  • savvykaz
    savvykaz Posts: 890 Forumite
    I hate to put a negative slant on your efforts, but if the t-shirt cost £25 2 years ago and is still outstanding on your credit card , then with the interest over the last 2 years I dread to think what the t-shirt has actually cost you :eek:
    DMP starts June 2012, £38,180.

Balance June 2015 £26,046 (paid off 32%)

DMP mutual support thread no 434
  • Taylo_2
    Interest free for the majority of that time so not to worry about that, and the interest that has been added to the account on this card forms a seperate entry which I will get to as part of the challenge.

The point is that the debt is being dealt with now!
    B&Q £12.40 / £93.11
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    :j A new challenge!! I almost wish I had a credit card debt so I could join in: I think it appeals to my OCD side. :o If I end up forking out for these disputed service charges I may end up making re-payments one item at a time
    "lift servicing October 2007 ... check ... replacement lamps on second floor April 2008 ... check" ;)

Be sure to get this new challenge added to the list of challenges on the sticky on the main DFW page.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Taylo_2
    How do I do that Fire fox, sorry, I ask you everything don't i?!!
    B&Q £12.40 / £93.11
  • Fire_Fox
    Forumite
    edited 22 July 2009 at 7:40PM
    I would PM Marru who posted the challenges thread initially - it looks like she is still updating with new challenges. To send a Private Message you just click on her name and then on send a PM (you probably already knew that bit!) and paste a link to your thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=767513
    As you say otherwise it may get lost before it's had a chance to take off!
  • Marru
    Marru Posts: 4,126 Forumite
    Thank you, have added it into challenge list. (and promises to update the other challenge links in readyness for August in next few days...:o)
    "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

• Taylo_2
    Thanks Marru, I can announce the first success of the itemiser after only 5 days! It has made short work of a £25 T-Shirt!! Moving onto the next item on my list means a £49.99 target for a kitchen bin I bought.

If anyone wants to join in on the act then we can see what list of items the itemiser can get through.
    B&Q £12.40 / £93.11
  • Fire_Fox
    Forumite
    Here come the cheerleaders ....
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Taylo_2
    If there is one thing the itemiser loves I would bet it is a long line of cheerleaders;)
    B&Q £12.40 / £93.11
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family