PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Salad

Options
We are trying hard to cook from scratch and limit the amount of 'packaged' foods we buy and really get into the OS way of cooking.

I am keen to stop buying expensive and (so I have read) unhealthy bags of salad but it seems near imossible to buy different varieties of unbagged salad.

We really like to have salad with most meals (usually rocket type salads). Can anyone suggest where I can get nice varieties of salad/lettuce leaves unprepared or even how to 'jazz' up the boring varieties in the supermarket?

Unfortunately, we don't have a garden to grow our own (top floor flat).

Thanks all!
The Best Things in Life Are Free

Comments

• bigmuffins
    bigmuffins Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought - if you have a windowsill or somewhere light, can grow salad leaves in pots/tubs/containers. Just get some seed and sow and harvest a few leaves as they grow. Will be young tasty leaves and no pests (slugs/snails - the bane of my life!)

Can also do carrots and radishes in small containers and eat small - don't like the hefty monster ones myself!

Or get an allotment! :p:D
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Rocket grows like a weed so it really is worthwhile investing in a couple of pots for your windowsill.

While you're waiting for that to happen...

Buy yourself an iceberg lettuce or some other cheapo lettuce (as opposed to the bagged-up type). Apparently iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, which is why it lasts for ages! But I digress...

Jazz it up with different dressings: walnuts and roquefort; balsamic vinegar; caesar dressing; shavings of parmesan, home-made croutons etc. etc.

Mix in other stuff: how about buying a small basil plant from the supermarket (or parsley, or chives or whatever takes your fancy)? Rip off a few leaves and mix in. Avocado chopped in lifts most salads and you don't need much.

Or buy a cheapo white cabbage and shred it with some carrots and mayonnaise to make your own coleslaw - much nicer than shop-bought.

Buy a bag of spinach from the vegetable aisle rather than the salad aisle and it's cheaper and the leaves not usually much bigger - eat that as a salad.

If you've got a Lidl near you they often have fruit and veg at half price - and also Rocket seeds!

Best of luck!
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    If you buy a bag of prepared lettuce (and not many MSE-ers will do this!), wash it even though it says "ready washed". I read on one the boards here that the lettuce is washed in chlorine and other chemicals so since then I've been very careful. Probably won't do you any harm but the thought isn't very nice.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I like to buy locally produced fruit and veg.This means we just don't eat green leafed salad through the winter and early spring - it is just not around.Instead we make salad out of hard cabbage,red and white,carrots,onions,whatever is crisp and crunchy raw.I also sprout mung beans through the cold months.All these things are nutritionally rich unlike the imported ,chlorinated bagged stuff and the water-filled iceberg,which as Choc Clare says has no nutitional value.

Marguerite Patten's wartime recipe books have ideas for seasonal salads ;)

Fortunately the green leaves are on the way back now,so I'll be loking out for watercress in my farmshop,and I'll be growing some rocket in a pot soon.

Eating with the seasons is exciting,each new season brings something different.I love the fact that when one thing is over something else will be along.It's fun to make the most of seasonal gluts. :)
  • amazon_spice
    amazon_spice Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Options
    Rocket grows like a weed so it really is worthwhile investing in a couple of pots for your windowsill.

I didn't know that - thanks for the tip. :)
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

I didn't know that - thanks for the tip. :)
    Me neither... Off to find rocket seeds in my lunch break and make room in the window sill at home ;) LOOOOOOVE rocket so this would be quite good really :)

As for salad then to save time you COULD buy the ickle plants already growing from the garden centre... not as cheap, but it could give you a head start untill other seeds germinate. I just bought a Chilli plant (hybrid) and it might even survive ;) After all my rosemary and thyme plants have lasted 2 months if not more now so I might be getting the hang of indoor plants ;) *fingers crossed* You could even try a cherry tomato plant in a pot if you felt adventurous :D
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scotgirl wrote:
    I am keen to stop buying expensive and (so I have read) unhealthy bags of salad but it seems near imossible to buy different varieties of unbagged salad.

Problem is, that salad leaves are imported at the moment. You might get some leaves grown here, but they will have been grown in a polytunnel. Both methods are more expensive than the traditional seasonal "grow in the field" method. To recoup the extra expense, the supermarkets shove a few in a bag and then charge a fortune!

Essentially, there is no home-grown lettuce at the moment, so the supermarkets are only stocking the more expensive options.

You are going to be limited until the home-grown stock is available, from June onwards - and even then, you'll need to find a farm shop, traditional greengrocer or farmers' market to get a decent choice.

For now, you are probably limited to Little Gem or Iceberg - or the rip-off bagged salad.

Pity about not having a garden as it is possible to grow lettuce through the winter. I've been growing lamb's lettuce and Winter Density, under a poly-cloche all winter and only waiting now for my summer crop to come through.

As for jazzing up "boring" lettuce, do you mean dressings or extra ingredients?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • plumpplop
    plumpplop Posts: 49 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my favourite salads for this time of year is carrot salad. Just grate the carrots so you have a large dessert bowl full and a handful of dried friut (I use saltanas) add a splash of orange juice and stir (and a sprinkle of seseme seeds if you have them). I thought orange and carrot sounded wierd at first but it really yum.

Its also great of you make it the night before so the saltanas swell up a bit.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ooh,I do this too,try adding sunflower seeds for extra crunch ;)
  • plumpplop
    plumpplop Posts: 49 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love sunflower seeds and never thought of that - Doh!. I'm going to make some tonight now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure