PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In search of the perfect bacon sandwich

Options
As some of you might have gathered from my recent general witterings on the daily thread, I have decided to give up bacon rolls most of the time for economic reasons. I used to have one every morning during the week from a cafe near my office which does the perfect bacon sandwich and costs £1.20, or comes as a special deal with tea or coffee for £1.80 (saving 20p).

Anyway, I'm really missing them, and I'd like to have the occasional HM one to make up for it, but mine are never half as nice as the ones from the caff.

Cafe method is as follows: put two rashers of bacon (unsmoked back bacon I think) to sizzle on a hotplate. Split a soft white roll, add butter and brown sauce, and normally by the time this has been done the bacon is ready to go in!

The ONLY thing I want to change about this is using a brown or granary roll instead of white. Other than that I would really love it if my bacon tasted the same! How should I cook it in the absence of a catering-style hotplate? (In a dry frying pan?) What sort of bacon should I get which doesn't shrivel up and lose its shape?

Any tips welcome :D
:)Operation Get in Shape :)
MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could try asking at the cafe which bacon they use, and yes, a non stick frying pan should work as well as a hotplate. More or less :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're a regular there, why don't you ask the cafe staff to make you a sandwich in the roll YOU provide.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well now I really want a bacon roll and I've got none and the butcher is closed on Mondays :(

You really need to get hold of bacon that hasn't been injected with water,in other words quality home cured butcher's bacon.Cheap bacon produces that horrible white gunk.Get British bacon-support British farmers :T

Waitrose cafes do lovely crispy streaky bacon,but they serve it in those hard chewy rustic rolls,I think a soft floury bap would be much better.

Blimey,I could murder a bacon roll :D
  • JailhouseBabe
    JailhouseBabe Posts: 1,590 Forumite
    Options
    I always use scissors to cut the rind off before I cook, this stops the bacon from shrivelling.
    Used to use the George Foreman, but needs too much cleaning, so now use a non-stick frying pan with a spray of oil. Cooks in about 2 minutes, and the pan just needs a rinse under hot water.
    Has to be on white bread, no butter, but lots of Ketchup. :)
    some people grin and bear it, others smile and do it :)
  • jonboy31
    jonboy31 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    I use a cast iron griddle on top of a gas hob. The griddle needs to be very very hot though. No oil is needed as the bacon fat kind of self bastes the bacon. Cooking it quickly like this ensures that the bacon and bacon fat gets nicely cooked, fat not at all stringy, and bacon is a nice colour but still got moisture. The kitchen is a bit smokey afterwards though!

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport