Milkmen - They can be cheaper

Here's a thought......who has cancelled their milkman because it is 8p cheaper a pint at Tesco's? I did at my previous house. I have now moved and taken on a milkman for the following reasons

- it comes straight from the farm at 40p a pint and doesn't go through a factory process of homogenisation
- it is 40p delivered in all weather - a top line increase spend of just 80p per week.
- by not making a couple of quick trips outside of the weekly shop I save a round trip of 20 miles worth of fuel
- here's the clincher - who can actually go into a supermarket and just buy milk - no highly profitable deli items, no impulse buys etc etc
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955
    First Post
    Forumite
    Never though of it this way before. Its true that I could never go into a supermarket and just buy milk, but I usually buy my milk during the week from my corner shop, which I found out yesterday sells it cheaper than my co-op. £1.15 from co-op, £1.10 local shop. Might have a think about going back to the milkman, its been a long time since I did this. Another thing to get used to is the collection on a friday, having to remember to have his money put to one side. My sister has her milk delivered and says her milkman isnt very reliable for his collections, and she sometimes ends up having to pay him £20+ which I would with struggle sometimes.
    Worth thinking about though.....
    Sue
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Does anyone get organic milk from a milkman? I only buy organic dairy these days (put off by the beastlies and antibiotics) and I would LOVE to use a milkman, but I imagine I'd have to live near an organic dairy with their own milkmen? Does anyone know different?
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Loadsabob wrote:
    Does anyone get organic milk from a milkman? I only buy organic dairy these days (put off by the beastlies and antibiotics) and I would LOVE to use a milkman, but I imagine I'd have to live near an organic dairy with their own milkmen? Does anyone know different?

My local milkman used to sell it a few years back, it would be worth finding out. I bought it for a trial period and then cancelled because it wasn't worth over 50p a pint!

I shop little and often so it's cheaper and easier to buy milk from the shops.
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Depending on the milkmans source of milk your doorstep delivery may be a lot fresher than supermarket milk! Part of my family are farmers with their own milk rounds. They also supply several local shops and other milkmen. The milk on my doorstep this morning left the cow yesterday afternoon. If I bought it at the supermarket it would have spent upto 24 hours with the farmer then at least another 24 to 48 hours being processed by the dairies and distributed onwards.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We buy three pints of milk a week from the milk man. Only OH takes milk I don't have it at all.

Even at that he drinks whats left instead of drinking juice and throwing the milk away.
    Well he does now we're OS anyway
  • k_bagpuss
    k_bagpuss Posts: 502
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I also use my local milkman! Even though I call into the supermarket on a regular basis cos I live on my own so I don't do a "weekly shop" I also like the fact that I am supporting a local businessman
    Good wine needs to breathe, if it stops breathing try mouth to mouth.
  • magni
    magni Posts: 651 Forumite
    I use my milkman too. I only get 4 pints from him though and the rest I buy wherever is the cheapest. At the minute it's 79p for 2 litres in the local garage. I also like supporting local businesses but we go through gallons of the stuff and I need to try to keep costs down.
    100 Day Pot £13
    £2 coin saver #205 £40 banked and £22
    Weekly Spend
    June NSD 9/10 DFW Nerd 54
  • stefbate
    stefbate Posts: 53 Forumite
    I dont think we have a milkman in our street, i never see milk on peoples steps anyway. I buy 4 pints every day, they get through loads of the stuff. Theres only 4 of us too. Well i suppose its better than fizzy pop, so cant really complain.
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    We've just had a milk round started in our area and I get Rachels Organic milk delivered.

~x~
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    We've had a milkman for the past 2 years. We order 14 pints a week for the 5 of us. Our milkman has a franchise with Dairy Crest and we have had organic milk from him in the past. My husband didn't like the packaging and thought it was more environmentally friendly buying the ordinary milk in glass bottles. Our milkman is very friendly and knows all that is going on in the area so it's a good way to catch up with the local gossip as well as been more environmentally friendly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure