Bailiff problems

Options
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to find an expert on bailiffs. Chandlers LTD keep sending a man to my house to collect money I don't have. The debt is council tax and Southwark council are not being helpful.

It started Tuesday when this man turns up at my house and he's looking in all my windows writing down my goods. I opened the door and stepped into my garden and closed the door behind me. He has NOT entered my home. He also wrote down my garden furniture. His exact words were, "if you don't sign this agreement I will takes your goods today". In fear of loosing everything I signed. I told him I don't have a job and he told me he would come back Thursday (today) to collect the first installment.

I've spoken to many people already and they told me he can't force entry. But when he returned today he told me he can because my garden table and chairs is listed and it's all in the agreement they he conned me into signing.

I have called citizens advice but they never answer the phone. I walked very far to another one of their shops but I was turned away because they was full.

I really need help. Can he really force entry?

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    You need to pm Herbie21 urgently, she's a real expert on bailiffs.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/

Try this website - its really helpful, or you could try the helpline on that website. Its run by a regular user on here, Herbie21.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What "agreement" did you sign? It sounds like you've been tricked into signing a walking possession, despite the levy on goods inside your house being invalid if they've never been into your house. The problem is proving that.

A signed walking possession agreement allows the bailiff to force entry to recover the goods on the agreement.

I concur with the advice to contact Herbie at this point, she's really the top player in this kind of thing. The levy is invalid if they've levied on goods inside your house without going inside, but as I say, can we prove that.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • Tixy
    Options
    You maybe able to prove it, if for example it just says 'TV' 'Fridge' rather than Samsung 32" model XYZ etc. I believe a walking posession should be reasonably detailed.
  • grahamlaw
    grahamlaw Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all, I can prove all the goods are seen from the windows by going outside and taking pictures?
  • grahamlaw
    Options
    I tried to send herbie21 a PM but I just get a message back saying her inbox is full. I don't know what to do.
  • Tixy
    Options
    That does happen - she is much in demand!
    Have you tried the website? There is a small cost to call the helpline but if you need urgent help it can be worth it.
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Options
    Did the man show you his warrant card? Did you get his name?
    Do you know what bailiffs it was?

I wouldn't bother taking pictures - just get a PM to herbie here or email that bailiffadviceonline site asap.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • grahamlaw
    edited 18 June 2009 at 2:14PM
    Options
    I didn't know they had warrant cards. His name is Mr Turkey-Anus and he is from Chandlers. Because I didn't pay the first installment this morning he said he is coming back at 2:30 for the full amount.
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2009 at 2:16PM
    Options
    Might be and idea to Edit your last post Graham.
    (Bottom right of the post)

T********-A****

Make sure all windows and doors are locked.
    Don't let him in to the property. If he wants to talk, there's a perfectly good letter box there.

Are there any CCTV cameras that may have picked him up or neighbours security cameras? I know it's a longshot, but it's your word against his right now.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills