What will you change first?

moneymakestheworldgoround
moneymakestheworldgoround Posts: 1,106
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 2 June 2009 at 6:06PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi

I am on a tight budget until debt free. The kids have been absolutely marvellous and dont moan/whinge/demand/question ... Better than me actually ! :mad:

On Saturday, my 3 yr old visited my auntie. She went to the loo and after 10 mins a search party was sent out. She was found hugging the toilet paper because it was pink ! We only have tesco value, and the little sweetie didnt realise toilet paper came in different colours ! She was given a roll to bring home as it was obviously such a precious commodity to her, and my 11 yr old was convinced I had worked out how to dye white value paper - turns out she hadnt seen coloured paper either.

My first task when debt free was going to be ordering everything on the Chinese takeway menu. However, now my first task will be to buy toilet paper in ever colour imaginable !:T

So my question is, what will be ( or was) the first thing you will invest in when you are debt free?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
VR repayment  £404  £156.02 PAID
Airpods repayment £249 £185 £75.90 PAID 
Airpods repayment £144 £99.01 PAID

Capital One £1400

Comments

• louisewh123
    louisewh123 Posts: 207 Forumite
    clothes, shoes, a haircut and new make up. I miss all of them deeply. It was had when we had to part.
    [STRIKE]Debt 01.01.2010 = £70,000[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 01.02.2011 = £53,495 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 05.05.2011 = £51,959 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Debt 01/08/2011 = £49,425 [/STRIKE]Debt 05/09/2011 = £45,610 :j
  • paybacktime2008
    paybacktime2008 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    My house! That country cottage with land will be mine!

Great idea for a thread.
    LBM 10/08 £12510.74/
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,869
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

On Saturday, my 3 yr old visited my auntie. She went to the loo and after 10 mins a search party was sent out. She was found hugging the toilet paper because it was pink ! We only have tesco value, and the little sweetie didnt realise toilet paper came in different colours ! She was given a roll to bring home as it was obviously such a precious commodity to her, and my 11 yr old was convinced I had worked out how to dye white value paper - turns out she hadnt seen coloured paper either.

My first task when debt free was going to be ordering everything on the Chinese takeway menu. However, now my first task will be to buy toilet paper in ever colour imaginable !:T
    Ah bet that bought a lump to your throat

Have a holiday
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • MLisking
    MLisking Posts: 33 Forumite
    Burn my car in a field, laugh, walk to the VW shop, and buy that rather gorgeous scirocco car that I drool over everytime I see it :D

And go to India for a minimum of a month and travel around. Again, drool.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    She was found hugging the toilet paper because it was pink !

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Seriously though if thats all the kids have noticed that they are missing out on you must be doing loads of things right.

As for me I wouldn't know where to start - so I'll probably stay in my comfort zone and buy some fabulous unnecessary and expensive shoes (but I'll have saved up for them first of course!!) I think more creatively when I'm wearing fabulous shoes.:D
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • crapwithcash82
    crapwithcash82 Posts: 1,043
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tixy wrote: »
    I think more creatively when I'm wearing fabulous shoes.:D

That is thee best reason I have ever heard for buying fab shoes!! I think I'd indulge in a pair of Louboutins, or maybe Jimmy Choo's - then its on to becoming a Mortgage Free Wannabe for us!! I've got the bug now, and I'm not going to stop until we're completely and utterly debt free!!

Great Thread! x :T
  • louisewh123 - I love the idea of a mini pampering session. Like pretty woman experience for people who have been in debt !

paybacktime2008 - ooh , love the sound of the country house. Animals? Log fires? Huge veggie patches?

SueP19 - I have to admit I cried ! But I am pregnant so I blame hormones. Is your holiday going to be in the sun, ski, or exploring ?

MLisking- Blimey. What colour? Will it have nodding dog? Magic Tree?

Tixy - I only have 2 pairs of shoes - wellies and trainers. both have holes in. So perhaps I am coming round to the idea of shoes in every colour too !

crapwithcash82 - good for you - motivation is definitely infectious !

I talked with friends tonight and asked them a similar question. But it turned more towards fibs you have told kids whilst debtbusting. One friend said she told her son food with the white and blue barcode ( ie Tesco value) was better quality than Tesco finest and if he was teased at school it was because people were jealous ! Another friend said her 14 yr old son has only just discovered pineapple isnt manufactured in rings and tinned. He was gobsmacked to see a real pineapple !

I've only lied about opening times of places to avoid going. Or that MacDonalds only allow people in once a week or the police will come round, or shops have mysteriously sold out of Aeros/lollies/pringles etc.. Hmmm....

Capital One £1400
  • louisewh123
    louisewh123 Posts: 207 Forumite
    we lie all the time about places being closed to our 5yr old!! Nice the good weather is here tho . . . .atleast you can take kids to the park!
    [STRIKE]Debt 01.01.2010 = £70,000[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 01.02.2011 = £53,495 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 05.05.2011 = £51,959 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Debt 01/08/2011 = £49,425 [/STRIKE]Debt 05/09/2011 = £45,610 :j
  • I agree louisewh123 -bring on good weather and cheap days out !!

I saved up £40 to take kids on rare treat to see Sponge Bob Square Pants at an event. However I really needed to pay a bill and so when it rained in the morning, I pretended to ring Sponge Bob who told me he had lost his umbrella and so wouldnt be going. My 3 yr old didnt buy it as apparently he lives under the sea so he's used to getting wet. Silly Mummy !! :p

Capital One £1400
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,303
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My house! That country cottage with land will be mine!

Great idea for a thread.

I second that. I will be your nearest neighbour (about 3 miles away):D
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure