PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cake recipies for diabetics

Options
hi all

im looking for cake and biscuit recipies that are suitable for diabetics. if anyone knows any or where i can get them please let me know.

also if anyone has some tasty cake and biscuit recipies that can be eaten by anyone who isn't diabetic i'd love to hear from you.

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then you need to check the Cooking section of the MEGA Index :)

Listed under "cakes" you'll find every yummy thing you could dream of, and further down under "Healthy eating" you'll find a number of threads that will help you out and they include links to websites absolutely loaded with good stuff.

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    I went through the index and there's hardly anything for diabetic/low-carb'ers :'( I'm quite surprised TBH

I'm getting bored of eating 10 different types of meat each week, I want something that doesn't fight back for a change.
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I was a cook in a nursing home, we were allowed to modify the sweet recipes to use canderel in place of sugar. The portion sizes for sweet things were cut in size as well at serving time. Diabetics were also allowed digestive biscuits or rich tea biscits on the tea trolley.

You can also look at http://www.diabetes.org.uk/eatwell/index.html for recipe advice

HTH
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    amosworks wrote:
    I went through the index and there's hardly anything for diabetic/low-carb'ers :'( I'm quite surprised TBH

I'm getting bored of eating 10 different types of meat each week, I want something that doesn't fight back for a change.

There are loads. icon10.gif

If by low carb you mean the Atkins diet then that is NOT suitable for diabetics. Yes we have to watch our carb intake, but there the similarity ends and diabetics who try Atkins can find themselves with serious problems very, very quickly. High ketone levels (associated with Atkins) can be as damaging as high sugar levels.

The magazine of the main UK support organisation, Diabetes UK, is called "Balance". Why? Because that is what it is really all about. Eating a good, healthy ordinary balanced diet.

"Special" diabetic foods are unnecessary. If I bake a cake, I use sugar or an artificial sweetener, whichever lends itself to the recipe best. If I have used sugar then I try not to stuff my face (with the entire cake icon11.gif) and remember to balance my GI by having something suitably low as my first course. A stir fry or a salad for instance. I aim for balance in each meal.

There really isn't a "special diet" for diabetics. Just a "sensible all round everyone-would-benefit-from-it BALANCED" one.

Lecture over, sorry icon11.gif
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • amosworks
    Options
    lol no lecture, I use ketostix (as would many diabetics doing self testing through urinalysis) to test my ketone levels, and the issues of type 2 diabetes and low-carb diets are similar in many ways. I'm sure you know that ketones are similar in size to glucose and can be used as energy in exactly the same way, thus a high ketone reading can be just as bad. But with self testing, intimate knowledge of how your body works with the food you eat and your common sense there shouldn't be any problems. I'm sure you've heard that many diabetics achieve a lot of success on Atkins, and many are even able to stop taking insulin!

BTW, I spent 3 years on Atkins and am now moving on to the "Neanderthin" diet :)

But still, am I missing all the recipes you speak of? I did have a dig around for them and only found a few.

Cheers :)
  • RacyRed
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hiya Amos,

Sorry my post sounded heavier than I meant it to sound, :o There are different kinds of diabetic (not just types 1 and 2) and different kinds of treatment, with a whole range of control methods being available to us. That was why I was being cautious. I am certainly aware of diabetics who have been able to reduce their dependency on medication by using diet and exercise control.

The recipes I referred to are those that have a good GI balance within them. There are many of those in the index, but they are not specifically identified as such. However I agree that there are few with no or very low carb levels.

BTW, What is the Neanderthin diet?
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
  • amosworks
    Options
    lol it's fine I knew what you meant :) I think I'll scour again for the low GI ones, thanks for your recommendations :)

The Neanderthin diet is pretty much eat like a caveman, only eating natural foods that have been around for a very long time, are local to where you live, are in season and have absolutely nothing to do with the modern age. Basically somebody theorised that the most natural diet would be one that humans have been living on for millions of years, so started to come up with a guide to this diet after lots of research. It's quite similar in Atkins in some respects, but different in others. For one thing, cavemen wouldn't have spent much time preparing meals (if any) so a lot of food is quite raw etc. I don't think I'm doing it justice by explaining it here lol
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Well for anyone who wants to take a look at the recipes, go to: http://atkins.com/recipes there may be something useful on the site-many people have found some good recipes here, and even if you don't follow them to the letter, they may give you some ideas which you can adapt to suit.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • RacyRed
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    amosworks wrote:
    lol it's fine I knew what you meant :) I think I'll scour again for the low GI ones, thanks for your recommendations :)

The Neanderthin diet is pretty much eat like a caveman, only eating natural foods that have been around for a very long time, are local to where you live, are in season and have absolutely nothing to do with the modern age. Basically somebody theorised that the most natural diet would be one that humans have been living on for millions of years, so started to come up with a guide to this diet after lots of research. It's quite similar in Atkins in some respects, but different in others. For one thing, cavemen wouldn't have spent much time preparing meals (if any) so a lot of food is quite raw etc. I don't think I'm doing it justice by explaining it here lol

No, I get your drift, I tend to follow those principles a bit on my raw food days. Interesting concept, I'll have a read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family