MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Artie accept cash from his dodgy cousin Tony?

Options
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Artie accept cash from his dodgy cousin Tony?

Artie’s cousin Tony and his wife, Carmella, have always been a bit dodgy, and live off ill-gotten gains. Artie’s not sure exactly what they’re into, but knows they’ve got their fingers in a few unsavoury pies. Yet Artie’s restaurant has run into trouble, and he badly needs some extra cash. Cousin Tony has offered him £500 as a gift, no strings attached. Should he take it?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
Should Tina lend to Stina?
Should rich Rich pay for Tom, !!!!!! & Harry?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Thunderbird_2
    Options
    No. I wouldn't.
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • Susan_Frost
    Susan_Frost Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt it. Even if they had proper jobs as well, it would be the fact they do the dodgy stuff which allows them to have the spare money to give. So I would feel it came out of that stash.
  • furball
    furball Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    No. I would think that if any of the dodgy dealings came to the attention of the police and it was found upon investigation that he had given money to Tony, even if Tony was innocent about where it came from, he could be accused of running his restaurant business on illegal earnings and could lose the restaurant.
    If i am wrong please correct me.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. – Hilary Cooper
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • Steve_Reading
    Options
    On the face of it, it seems a good deal....BUT. Given that Tony is into dodgy stuff, there is a possible money laundering issue here. Artie, ideally, should know where all his funding is coming from or he may get caught in a trap if Tony is investigated by the authorities.
    Best advice for Artie is go see his bank manager and discuss short term overdraft facilities or business loan. Alternatively, consider a cash injection from a 0% credit card.
    Personally, I would advise Artie to go see his local Business Link
  • sluggy1967
    sluggy1967 Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    The question is not asking if WE would take it, but whether Artie should take it. There is a big difference.
    If it was ME, no I wouldn't take it, but that would be because I wouldn't have anything to do with a dodgy cousin in the 1st place. You can't pick & choose what you accept from someone dodgy. If Artie has ever had a present from them, or so much as a birthday card or a cup of tea, it's come from their ill-gotten gains!
    Therefore, it makes sense for Artie to accept the money, otherwise he is cutting off his nose to spite his face!
  • Spider86
    Spider86 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's easy for people to say, no i would do the right thing and not accept the money because i know it has come from dodgy dealings.

But then you have to consider the fact that when your business, and your main source of income faces the possibility of going under I'm sure you would find it easier to accept the money to keep you and your business afloat rather than end up bankrupt, jobless, incomeless and relying on benefits.
    People who live beyond their means should act their wage.
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, i would take it without a doubt! Your not to know where the money comes form for sure and i am all for giving people the benefit of doubt. Family after all.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sadly I think I would refuse as I would consider it all too risky to run my business on 'illegal earnings' and immoral to do so on 'illgotten gains'.

Just a thought.
    I get a governement pension.
    Given the hugely unfair taxes levied on us all in every aspect of our lives that go towards paying for this, although my pension techinically may not be financed by 'illegal' earnings, I feel it is certainly financed through 'ill gotten gains'.
  • steam_dan
    steam_dan Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    No. If all it is going to take is £500 to rescue the business then it isn't really in that much trouble. He shouldn't have any problems obtaining the money through legitimate means.
    Any way, if the money is dodgy whose to say that some Mafia type guy won't suddenly claim that the £500 was rightfully his and he now owns part of your business. Not worth taking the risk.
  • abcdenicola
    Options
    Apart from the legal problems Artie could get himself into if Tony was investigated, there is a moral issue here. If Artie accepts the money, it is never with "no ties". Tony could come back to Artie in the future and ask him to do something dodgy and Artie may feel pressured to do it as a moral obligation in return for Tony's saving his restaurant. NEVER put yourself in that position!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure