28 years old and bankrupt

Options
Household debt has broken through the £1 trillion barrier. Six years after applying for her first credit card, "Liz" is now bankrupt. Here she tells her story to BBC News.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3846143.stm

Comments

• joseph_2
    joseph_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Im starting to fed fed up of this line -

"What I don't understand about the credit card companies is that they are happy to lend money to people without finding out whether they can afford to pay it back."
  • Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    I know someone who has accumulated debts of around 8K through taking out loans and buying luxury items which have all been sold at a very small price. His mother has told him to file for bankruptcy as he has no assets so he wont have to pay any of it back :mad: :confused:
  • sparkle84
    Options
    Im starting to fed fed up of this line -

"What I don't understand about the credit card companies is that they are happy to lend money to people without finding out whether they can afford to pay it back
    "
    Yes I know what you mean - people keep going on about reckless lending etc etc however I feel there are some people who, to say the least, fudge their income figures to get more and more credit - nobody held a gun to my head I got the credit spent it and now I have to pay it back
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's all down to the numbers - once bad debt climbs above a certain percentage they'll start to tighten up.
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think what annoyed me most about that BBC article was the line 'it became apparent later in the year that I was going to have trouble raising money to pay the balance of the holiday. I became quite desperate to raise the money and thought my only option was to apply for a loan or credit card.'

She could have cancelled - it was hardly like she was replacing the boiler that broke so she wouldnt freeze to death. The problem with the subject was that she was spending on 'wants' rather than 'needs'.

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • cheets99
    cheets99 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Shocking, £800 for a PC and printer, could of got a second hand one for £300-400 for general word processing.

I must admit its easy to get into debt but i am glad i always think "do i really need it" glad i never bought a £700 LDC tv at xmas.
    Total CC Debt: £1750
    Overdraft £1300
    Car Loan £1750

Savings £0
    Redundancy OCT £2000
    Wage this month £540

• dudleyboy
    dudleyboy Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    I feel really sorry for Liz. Fancy being exploited by all those nasty credit card and loan companies and being forced to make all those purchases and take all those luxury holidays overseas on money that wasn't hers and then being expected to pay them back. Have they no shame?!!

Fortunately, with the help of the government, tax payers' money and the sympathetic reporting of the BBC, Liz has been able to put this terrible experience behind her and is no longer expected to repay the £40,000 these immoral people lent to her, or be legally bound my the terms and conditions she agreed to when gladly accepting their kind donations.

Thankfully Liz's story has a happy ending. At 28 she can rebuild her life without any debt whatsoever and is able to hold on to her fond memories, photographs and mementos of her many travels, fun times and the "crazy" people she met.

Why waste your life contributing to society and doing something productive when you can buy shoes and/or travel the world and look at all the wonderful things other people have done? Why try and help those living in poverty with a monthly charitable donation from your salary when you can go visit them yourself, take your own photos of them outside their humble abodes, buy items of clothing they've laboured hours over for a pittance, and then show them to all your friends back at the riding club / bar / restaurant / gym / studio / mall upon your return? why oh why indeed.

Congratulations "Liz". You are a survivor. Life has dealt you a shetty hand but fortunately you've been able to put this horrid experience behind you and, hopefully, it hasn't put you off accepting such financial gifts in the future.

Life is for living, it should be lived to the full and is far too short to worry about what you're buying, how much you're spending and the fact that one day you might be expected to pay it back whether you can afford to or not.

May the rest of us bail you out (through taxation and interest rates) time and again forevermore... and maybe, just maybe, we will one day get to look at your photos, admire your mementos, hear your stories (of which we will never tire) and perhaps even be fortunate enough to learn from your mistakes (despite already having the basic common sense and understanding of the world that you so obviously lack). May your plight not be in vain. If you can reach out and touch just one equally witless, naive, ignorant and/or truely stupid person then those sleepless nights on exotic beaches will not have been for nothing.

Credit card and loan companies - you should be ashamed of yourselves! Fancy expecting people like Liz to behave responsibly when given the ability to buy things. Fancy expecting them to not become alcoholics when they turn 18. Fancy expecting them to not become pregnant when they turn 16. Fancy expecting them to not murder another human being the day they learn how it can be done. People like Liz need to be protected for they are vulnerable and know not what they do.

Liz, and to all those like her, I salute you... with a single and bitter middle finger at the very fact you're allowed to get away with it so easily (most people who commit fraud go to prison) and have the audacity to expect people to feel sympathy/empathy towards you (as well as, no doubt, keeping hold of all the stuff you bought!)

I hope that one day you will have enough money saved for a deposit on a house, which i will most probably end up renting from you as I attempt to pay off my own debts (such as 3 years of car insurance and student loans that i have every intention of repaying) generated by a modest and self-sufficient lifestyle. Oh, wait a moment...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry, I know this is supposed to be a touchy-feely board but sometimes the truth hurts. That article and people who get into debt for such reasons, only to have their extravagant slates wiped clean for them afterwards, really do get on my tets.

People like "Liz" get off far too easily and not only are we expected to feel sorry for them but we're supposed to be supportive/happy when they're debt free while the rest of us are still struggling to do it solo!! Worst of all, they'll probably grow old happier, healthier and wealthier having had all those relaxing holidays in the sun and absolutely no debt to worry about or pay off!!

Boils my blood it does. Think i'm being harsh? Yeah, I am. Think i'm wrong? Tell me otherwise.

*phew* - God I feel better for that!! - and it didn't cost a bean. Who needs retail therapy?! :D :rotfl:
  • GingerSte
    GingerSte Posts: 2,486 Forumite
    Options
    I think Yorkshire Boy has moved to the Midlands! I have to agree, though.
  • CTT_2
    CTT_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    dudleyboy wrote:
    I feel really sorry for Liz. Fancy being exploited by all those nasty credit card and loan companies and being forced to make all those purchases and take all those luxury holidays overseas on money that wasn't hers and then being expected to pay them back. Have they no shame?!!

Fortunately, with the help of the government, tax payers' money and the sympathetic reporting of the BBC, Liz has been able to put this terrible experience behind her and is no longer expected to repay the £40,000 these immoral people lent to her, or be legally bound my the terms and conditions she agreed to when gladly accepting their kind donations.

Thankfully Liz's story has a happy ending. At 28 she can rebuild her life without any debt whatsoever and is able to hold on to her fond memories, photographs and mementos of her many travels, fun times and the "crazy" people she met.

Why waste your life contributing to society and doing something productive when you can buy shoes and/or travel the world and look at all the wonderful things other people have done? Why try and help those living in poverty with a monthly charitable donation from your salary when you can go visit them yourself, take your own photos of them outside their humble abodes, buy items of clothing they've laboured hours over for a pittance, and then show them to all your friends back at the riding club / bar / restaurant / gym / studio / mall upon your return? why oh why indeed.

Congratulations "Liz". You are a survivor. Life has dealt you a shetty hand but fortunately you've been able to put this horrid experience behind you and, hopefully, it hasn't put you off accepting such financial gifts in the future.

Life is for living, it should be lived to the full and is far too short to worry about what you're buying, how much you're spending and the fact that one day you might be expected to pay it back whether you can afford to or not.

May the rest of us bail you out (through taxation and interest rates) time and again forevermore... and maybe, just maybe, we will one day get to look at your photos, admire your mementos, hear your stories (of which we will never tire) and perhaps even be fortunate enough to learn from your mistakes (despite already having the basic common sense and understanding of the world that you so obviously lack). May your plight not be in vain. If you can reach out and touch just one equally witless, naive, ignorant and/or truely stupid person then those sleepless nights on exotic beaches will not have been for nothing.

Credit card and loan companies - you should be ashamed of yourselves! Fancy expecting people like Liz to behave responsibly when given the ability to buy things. Fancy expecting them to not become alcoholics when they turn 18. Fancy expecting them to not become pregnant when they turn 16. Fancy expecting them to not murder another human being the day they learn how it can be done. People like Liz need to be protected for they are vulnerable and know not what they do.

Liz, and to all those like her, I salute you... with a single and bitter middle finger at the very fact you're allowed to get away with it so easily (most people who commit fraud go to prison) and have the audacity to expect people to feel sympathy/empathy towards you (as well as, no doubt, keeping hold of all the stuff you bought!)

I hope that one day you will have enough money saved for a deposit on a house, which i will most probably end up renting from you as I attempt to pay off my own debts (such as 3 years of car insurance and student loans that i have every intention of repaying) generated by a modest and self-sufficient lifestyle. Oh, wait a moment...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry, I know this is supposed to be a touchy-feely board but sometimes the truth hurts. That article and people who get into debt for such reasons, only to have their extravagant slates wiped clean for them afterwards, really do get on my tets.

People like "Liz" get off far too easily and not only are we expected to feel sorry for them but we're supposed to be supportive/happy when they're debt free while the rest of us are still struggling to do it solo!! Worst of all, they'll probably grow old happier, healthier and wealthier having had all those relaxing holidays in the sun and absolutely no debt to worry about or pay off!!

Boils my blood it does. Think i'm being harsh? Yeah, I am. Think i'm wrong? Tell me otherwise.

*phew* - God I feel better for that!! - and it didn't cost a bean. Who needs retail therapy?! :D :rotfl:

Brilliant, Brilliant post.
  • BenBar
    BenBar Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Well done dudleyboy, it is about time we recognised that banks are there to make a profit from us and not to 'serve' us or look after our needs!! If we default they generally end up getting more out of us!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure