Anybody had experience of starting a Chip Van?

Options
Hi there folks I am looking to start up a Fish and Chip van going round the local villages. Has anyone any advice for me? There are no chip shops in the villages i am targeting, they are to small to sustain an everyday chip shop but i think a once a week/fortnight chip van would do well.

I will be getting myself a van kitted out that will enable me to do all the prep etc in the van so i will not have to get my kitchen kitted out to food standard. All i think i am going to need outside of the van is two freezers for stock that i am hoping to be able to keep in a segregated section of my garage.

In the coming week i am going to knock on some doors in my target villages and check that there is a desire for chips (why wouldnt there be? :confused:) Just trying to get a business plan together and do my three year costings etc for the business bank managers to peruse over

So what do you think have i missed anything?? Anyone in this business and have some advice? Anyone failed miserably and want to try and warn me off? All comments welcome, though please be constructive
Only when the last tree has died,the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,
will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Comments

• WHA
    WHA Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Options
    You need to contact the relevant local authorities - i.e. the local council for where you live (and keep your van) and also for the areas you intend to visit.

Firstly, you need to make sure you are complying with food hygiene and health & safety for yourself, staff and customers.

Secondly, you will probably need a street-trading licence (or similar) which may well restrict your locations and times of trading.

Going back a few years, I know of a fish & chip van that was closed down because they didn't have the local authority permission to trade where and when they did. Their licence had restrictions as to locations and opening hours, which they breached and their licence was withdrawn.

Getting the licences and approvals will take time so you need to get on with it sooner rather than later, and certainly before you start spending money - it is possible they won't give you permission at all.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    business link have lots of stuff relevant for you:

Food safety info for new businesses
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I guess this one is a must read, and there's a nice checklist at the end:

First steps to running a catering business