🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooke & Lewis kitchens at B & Q

Options
Anyone know anything about these Cooke & Lewis kitchens at B & Q, good or bad.

I was in B & Q recently and picked up the Cooke & Lewis brochure. I may be cynical but is it B & Q trying to [STRIKE]con[/STRIKE] persuade us that these are special by using a "designer-y" type name??? Is it just their old Select kitchens with a new name???

I've googled Cooke & Lewis and from their website it would appear that the only place you can buy their kitchens is ...... B & Q!

The cabinets are 18mm thick with 8mm backs, so fairly standard.

I know B & Q don't have the best name for quality and service where kitchens are concerned and just wondered if we can expect better with the C & L ones.

I like this type of door with the double rebate type of thing and the only other one I've seen is in our local shop which is a lot more expensive compared to B & Q despite having the same thickness for cabinets and backs.

Comments

• jfinnie
    jfinnie Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    I was in B & Q recently and picked up the Cooke & Lewis brochure. I may be cynical but is it B & Q trying to [strike]con[/strike] persuade us that these are special by using a "designer-y" type name??? Is it just their old Select kitchens with a new name???

I think you need to ask someone at B&Q about the differences. Most of the old "Select" kitchens are now in the Cooke & Lewis brochure. Looking at the brochure the whole "Cooke & Lewis" seems to be a figment of some marketing guy's imagination - but perhaps they are a supplier of B&Q.

I noticed the Lugano kitchen at my local B&Q (one of the old "Select" kitchens) had stickers on saying the cabinets had now been "upgraded" and to ask staff - but I couldn't see anyone to ask. I had a nose around one of the new displays in gloss white and the drawer boxes and cabinet construction seemed identical to my own "Select" kitchen.

One difference seems to be they are now offering a white version of the carcass - they were all wood (Oak, Ash or Birch) before. They have also added "curved" doors which weren't available before.

I personally bought a "Select" kitchen (Portchester - now discontinued but was very cheap) a few months ago, and have just had it installed by my own kitchen fitter.

Good:
    • The cabinets are nice and thick 18mm - as are the doors 22mm - it all feels very sturdy
    • The wall units are spacious
    • The price for our kitchen was very good (£20/door plus 15% off everything during an offer)
    • Nice quality overall
    • Quality Salice hinges and buffers
    • Quality stainless steel drawer boxes with soft close
    • Very little to do to actually assemble them - most of the pegs / cams / etc are pre-fitted, the drawboxes just need the fronts attaching, etc
    • Nice shelves
    • Good service gap at the back of the cabinets for pipes etc
    • Strong door boxes and cabinet backs
    The bad:
    • It didn't all arrive on the day. So after waiting 6 weeks I had to wait a further 6 weeks for some of the end panels and doors.
    • B&Q ship by a combination of their own fleet and Parcelforce / NightFreight. Everything their own fleet shipped (the bulk of the kitchen arrived on one pallet) arrived in fine condition. Every single thing shipped by Nightfreight / Parcelforce was damaged - bashed corners on doors, a chipped base unit, etc. It seems to me their packaging isn't good enough to go via a standard courier. Their own fleet are clearly more careful (knowing the limitations of the packaging)
    • The tall oven housing doesn't actually come with enough bits to hold an oven and a microwave (he had to make a shelf up)
    • The finish of the Portchester was variable - I think they discontinued it due to quality control issues. For example the cornice is very slightly different colour to the doors. And of course due to the delays in getting all of it, there may be batch variations. The overall look was great though - but not up to "German" kitchen quality levels (Alno etc) - also not that kind of price though!
    • half of the bases in the drawer boxes were slighly offset, making the drawer fronts sit at funny angles. Easy enough to fix (a couple of screws allow you to slacken off the drawer bottom and re-position it) but annoying.
    • Seem expensive looking through their catalog unless you get an offer
    The net effect though is we did get a great looking kitchen (in our case for a great price). Certainly better than Howdens / MFI standard / B&Q standard / homebase / wickes run-of-the-mill kitchen ranges.

I would recommend the old "Select" and what seems to be the new Cooke&Lewis kitchens - if you get it while there is a good offer on.
  • andrewmoorcroft
    Options
    It's a con. Example: I have the birch one that used to be an IT kitchen! I saw the fitters swapping to the new cabinets and reusing the doors!
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hate it when you type out a really long answer and then lose it :mad:

It is a rebranding although the carcasses are indeed different. We had a quote on Friday and I was really impressed with the result. We decided to throw everything we wanted in and then compromise depending on the cost. We were offered a 15% discount (we want to hold out for a 20%) but even without the discount it was coming in just under our budget.

I'm liking the details that usually come on more expensive kitchens, the carcasses are average but it's nice that everything on show is really neat and tidy!

It was a cheaper than MFI even when we'd already started haggling with them a little while back. Haven't looked at their Kutchen Lab range yet though but I'm in love with the cream gloss and aubergine accent from B&Q.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • jfinnie
    jfinnie Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to confirm - Cooke&Lewis is a B&Q fabrication.

If you look at the T&C's on Cooke&Lewis website they are a copy&paste of the B&Q terms, including mentioning B&Q and their Handyman service!

http://www.cookeandlewis.co.uk/terms

Not that this makes them bad kitchens (I'm very pleased with my Select kitchen) - just a slightly questionable marketing campaign. In several places in the book they do imply this is NOT B&Q. "It's our partnership with B&Q that makes completing your kitchen so simple".
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Confirms what I thought really.

We have an appointment with a B & Q kitchen designer on Thursday and are travelling a fair distance to get there (we live in Wales with a small B & Q 50 miles away so are going to one of the big warehouse ones to see more but it's a long way). I'll have a good look while I'm there and if I like what I see I'll wait for a discount event, I don't really want it delivered until well in the new year anyway as I have to wait for the builders to finish the house renovation and we're guessing mid-end February for that.

One more thing. Our local shop can offer us a mid-height oven housing unit which we are looking for. B & Q don't do one. Is it possible to adapt a tall oven housing unit without spoiling it, or is that a question for a kitchen expert?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    One more thing. Our local shop can offer us a mid-height oven housing unit which we are looking for. B & Q don't do one. Is it possible to adapt a tall oven housing unit without spoiling it, or is that a question for a kitchen expert?

A good kitchen fitter will work wonders with anything.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • TomsMom
    Options
    jfinnie wrote: »
    I would recommend the old "Select" and what seems to be the new Cooke&Lewis kitchens - if you get it while there is a good offer on.

Forgot to add - thanks very much jfinnie for such a comprehensive reply. I'll print off the salient points on the bad side to remind me of some things to discuss with the kitchen designer.
  • NorthernMonkey85
    Options
    Hey there, Im a bit of a lurker here but thought i'd chip in this time soon as I work as a Kitchens CA at B&Q in Bolton!

It is mainly part of a re-brand of where we can aim to try and compete at a higher level really (lofty ambitions from the powers that be!) There are the addition of plain white cabinets though alongside other bits and pieces.

The Cream & Aubergine mentioned is certainly proving to be a big hit already too! For all you bargain hunters however who've been to the showrooms area recently, you may have noticed two kinds of gloss white and gloss cream...The cheaper of which branded under the IT name and available off the shelf usually. The finish isn't quite as good or quite as glossy, but its nothing too far out really...Mix it in with the aubergine and no one would ever know ;)
  • TomsMom
    Options
    There are the addition of plain white cabinets though alongside other bits and pieces.

I find that a bit strange really if plain white cabinets are an option on all the kitchens. At one time just plain white cabinets (and no other choice) were a sign of a cheaper kitchen and the more expensive ones had the choice of a matching cabinet.
    Hey there, Im a bit of a lurker here but thought i'd chip in this time soon as I work as a Kitchens CA at B&Q in Bolton!

I'm travelling 2.5 hours to get to a decent size B & Q on Thursday, hopefully. If I see one I like is now the best time to order it or is there a better price deal coming along? I wont want to install it until February/March time at the earliest.
  • NorthernMonkey85
    Options
    Well, with the 'cooke and lewis' kitchens, the carcass is colour matched to an extent so depending on what kitchen style you go for, will depend on the carcass (oak, ask, birch or plain white, as opposed to the patterned white on the take away kitchens)

You can however use the cheaper takeaway carcasses with most of the cooke and lewis doors (just watch out for the ones which are framed) also...might save a few bob there too but my personal opinion is that the plain white carcasses do look better but its personal preference and the size of your budget at the end of the day!

Presently, all the kitchens are about half price and that includes the cabinets, doors, cornices, plinths etc and that offer will be finishing on the 28th of November. Any quote you have however will be valid for a few weeks anyway. Weve not been notified of any further sales yet but boxing day is the opener usually...probably 50% off and maybe an additional discount, say 10% or something along those lines. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport