NI Presbyterian mutual society, Short of funds for withdrawal?

Options
ballyblack
ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 3 November 2010 at 7:43PM in N. Ireland
Anybody in NORTHERN Ireland save with them ?

Should you be worried?
Please Write your comments on this forum

Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday, 12 November 2008

"The credit crunch reached the church today when it was announced the Presbyterian Mutual Society, with assets of some £300 million, was unable to meet massive demand for withdrawals and was stopping repayments to members.

A run of recent withdrawals meant it no longer had the money to meet demand.
In a statement the society said: "Because of the current exceptional financial circumstances it is unable to meet demand from its shareholders for withdrawal of funds."
It was consulting its lawyers and financial advisers and had asked the Government to guarantee its funds.
Set up in 1982 to operate for the benefit of its members and the Presbyterian Church in Ireland - although a separate legal entity from the church - it currently has some 9,500 shareholder accounts.
Shareholders have been told they can't for now have the money - up to £300 million - they have invested.
At the moment it has about £130 million in fixed or other assets and £170 million lent out to borrowers.
Its activities consist of receiving money from shareholders - on which it pays a divided -, making loans to churches and private individuals, and making investments in commercial property in England and Scotland from which it derives a rental income.
The society is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, but has made approaches to Government seeking to have it extended to its shareholders.
It is understood the issue has gone right up to Prime Minister Gordon Brown, son of a Scottish Presbyterian Minister.
The society said the credit crunch had begun to have a severe effect on its levels of liquid assets, and it believed its lack of cover under the Government's guarantee scheme had led to an increasing number of people moving their funds out.
It said: "The society recently wrote to shareholders explaining that a continuation of very significant levels of withdrawals would place it in a position where it was unlikely to be able to meet the obligation under its rules to provide repayments to shareholders on 21 days' notice."
It added: "It is now evident that we have reached a situation where there is insufficient cash held by the society to meet the continuing level of demand.
"The society has decided that, in the interests of all its shareholders, it must now cease making repayments to members.
"The society deeply regrets that it has been forced to take this action because it is acutely aware that, in many cases, the lack of access to money will cause hardship for individuals."
However, it said it was in a position where it would only be possible to make repayments when its assets were sold or when loan debt was recovered and that would take some time.
"The sale of its commercial property holdings in current market conditions is not desirable," the society said.
Directors were continuing to take independent legal and financial advice and were actively exploring all possible ways of resolving the situation and ensuring the funds it held on behalf of its shareholders were protected.
It added: "The society has made approaches to Government to seek assistance, including asking for the Financial Services Compensation Scheme to be extended to cover the society's shareholders.
"At this stage the society has had no definitive response from Government. As soon as further information is available , the directors of the society will make it available to shareholders."
The Presbyterian Church in Ireland said it was deeply concerned by what had happened, but it would not be underwriting the society.
Clerk of the General Assembly, Rev Dr Donald Watts, said: "It is easy to point out that the mutual society is a separate legal entity which is quite separate from the church.
"It is also clear that the church cannot in any way underwrite the commitments of the society.
"However, the reality is that many Presbyterians who have invested in the society are now understandably worried and we have a responsibility to care pastorally for them."
Dr Watts said the assets of the society were in loans and property which was secure - but it was not a good time to sell.
"The directors are rightly asking for time to handle the situation in the best way for everyone, but of course that may not be how this develops."
He said the Moderator had written to the Prime Minister, encouraging a positive response for the financial guarantee, and the society directors had held discussions with ministers of the Stormont Executive.
The rules of the Belfast-based society say those wishing to become shareholders may buy shares in multiples of £100, up to a maximum of £20,000.
However it says further amounts can be added by way of loans to the society.
On its website the society gives an assurance that it does not speculate with its shareholders' funds.
It declares: "The directors give a categorical assurance that they do not under any circumstances speculate with investors' funds entrusted to their care, but use such funds specially for the purpose of advancing loans to those shareholders who wish to borrow from the society.
"The society uses surplus funds to purchase commercial property from which it derives a rental income and retains a percentage of the total capital in cash that is invested in established banks in Northern Ireland"

Do you plan to attend the General Assembly meeting on Tuesday 2nd June 2009 ? 93 votes

YES
26% 25 votes
NO - due to inconvenient location/date.
8% 8 votes
NO - I feel that it would be 'pointless' to attend.
6% 6 votes
I would prefer a SILENT protest.
4% 4 votes
I would prefer a VOCAL protest
11% 11 votes
I would like a SILENT PROTEST during, and a VOCAL PROTEST following, the meeting
17% 16 votes
I would like an opportunity to talk to PCI DELEGATES about my LOSS/SITUATION ?
19% 18 votes
I would be willing to talk to PRESS/MEDIA about my LOSS/SITUATION ?
5% 5 votes

Comments

• bribrian
    bribrian Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    I'm glad i don't have loads of money in banks etc to worry about.........:D
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • joylikes2shop
    Options
    When my mum was widowed a few years ago, she put her money into the Presbyterian Mutual Society- wrongly thinking that- because it belonged to 'the church' it was a good, safe, christian (??:confused: ) place to keep her money.Right now she's really worried about her savings so if anyone has any further information to add about this situation I'd be keen to hear about it.
  • Colin_Kee
    Options
    Probably not really much help to those with money in it but I believe most other Creduit Unions should be safe enough as I'm led to believe it is the type of Credit Union which the Presbyterian Union is has caused the problem. They invested most of their excess funds in Property I believe!! Big Problem in this current climate... so I'd imagine all their assets are tied up..
    Live, Love & Laugh A Lot!
  • bribrian
    bribrian Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Colin_Kee wrote: »
    P They invested most of their excess funds in Property I believe!! Big Problem in this current climate... so I'd imagine all their assets are tied up..

Yep, they're in a catch 22 situation as all their money is tied up in property & to release it they would have to sell & at the moment they would loose a fortune selling at very low prices. They also only invested in UK property & not worldwide which exasperates their situation.......
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • joylikes2shop
    Options
    I've spent all weekend and all this morning trying to find out any additional information about the Presbyterian Mutual Society. (I've spoken to people in Arelene Fosters office,The Insolvency Dept and Press Depts at DETI,consumers advice and someone from the media team of PMS),I actually did get to speak to someone on the phone at the PMS (02890 311232) but he was only able to confirm all that I'd already worked out for myself which seems to be:-

1) no-one, no matter what their circumstances can withdraw money from the PMS.
    2)Emergency legislation has been put into place to give the PMS the option of going into Administration-The following quote is from the BBC news web site....
    "An administrator acts in the best interests of everyone who is owed money and will take steps to rescue the society or, if this is not possible, he will ensure that the society is wound down in an orderly manner to maximise the return of money to members,"
    (I take this to be quite positive in the circumstances and liked the comforting words 'orderly' and 'maximise')
    3)Because the PMS has assets in the region of £300m ,all is not lost and there is a 'good' chance that investors will get some of their money back in the future....but it will probably be a long wait.

I suggested to the person at PMS that they update the web page REGULARLY and possibly provide alternative contact phone numbers or ANYTHING just to let investors feel like they're not being left in the dark, but he said there was no-one free to update the web site.
    Anyway,I'm not sure how much use this info is to anyone but felt I'd like to submit it anyway.
    :o
  • eldivo
    eldivo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know what the liabilities of the PMS are. £300M assets would not look to clever against £301M Debts?
  • joylikes2shop
    Options
    Not sure how or when these figures were obtained, but the following is from an article in the News Letter dated today:-

'The PMS has some £180 million in secured loans and directly owns commercial property, which was valued at £130 million in March. Its report to the assembly said it made a gross profit of £20 million last year and paid a dividend to members of 6.6 per cent.'
  • eldivo
    eldivo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Ok
    So (20/6.6) * 100 means there is £304M ish owed to investors on loans and shares?
    Seems an awful lot.

So if the Outstanding loans to members are £170M and a March valuation of the comercial property was £130M. Which i guess would be nearer £100M now.
    Leaves a back of the envelope shortfall of about £40M, give or take

Oh well easy come, easy go.
  • joylikes2shop
    Options
    Administrator appointed for the Presbyterian Mutual Society

http://www.presbyterianireland.org/mutual/
  • joylikes2shop
    Options
    Since the news broke about the Presbyterian Mutual Society situation last Wednesday (12th November) I have been on a mission to try to find out as much as I can about the safety of the money my mum (and others like her) has invested.
    I spent most of yesterday on the phone,talking to many people(see my post yesterday @1.14) and was 'relieved' in a way to hear (at 5.30pm) that the PMS had gone into administration.
    To me this means all remaining investors are in the same position and once the Administrator- Arthur Boyd- has reviewed the situation everyone will be treated fairly, which to me seems like the best we can hope for at the moment.

See todays updated PMS web site with Q&A's http://www.presbyterianireland.org/mutual/questions.html

Although it seems there is nothing anyone can do about the situation other than just to wait and see what happens, I feel it would be really useful if there was some way investors could get together just to talk to others in the same position or to make sure people without access to the internet are kept up to date with information as it becomes available and perhaps just to reassure those that are unfamiliar with the ongoing process about what it all means and how it will affect them.
    I saw an older couple on the local news tonight, and their daughter, expressing their concerns.I have also read a number of articles in the local newspapers with quotes from worried investors .This particular 'Thread' has been viewed 748 times to date, so there are a lot of people out there looking for information.
    If anyone can suggest a way of putting investors (or their families) in touch with one another could they please let me (us !) know, because although I think this is the best web site in the whole world, I'm not sure everyone either knows about it or would know how to join and post answers (I know it took me quite a while at the start)
    I'm not an expert on the whole administration process, but do understand a little about how it works so this perhaps gives me a little more hope, but I'm sure not everyone is as optomistic as me.
    I really hope we can find some way of putting as many investors in contact with each other as possible for reassurance !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure