New Laptop - Celeron or Centrino?

Options
Hi

I need to buy a new laptop for the family to use and want to get a wireless internet connection set up too.

Do I need to buy a Centrino processor or will a Celeron suffice? Whats the difference ( apart from the price!) ??

Cheers

Comments

• gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Centrino is more powerful. It is actually a sort of umbrella name which means the computer has a Pentium M processor, an Intel 855 chipset (don't ask - because I don't know :shhh:) and a wireless card.

Most laptops will include a wireless card even if they're not Centrino - and they can be added for around £20 to those few which don't.

However, when you say "celeron" I must point out there are two types of celeron - Celeron M (the good one - designed for laptops) and ordinary Celeron. Ordinary Celeron is designed for normal computers and doesn't work well in laptops (overheats and drains battery power) - avoid this at all costs. ;)
  • gizmoleeds
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What will you use the computer for (other than the internet)?
  • trickdick
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the info

It'll be used mainly for surfing the internet. A bit of word processing - homework- that sort of stuff.

Cheers
  • justpaper
    Options
    celeron's will have less cache then its pentium brother,.

i think what ever u going too use it for get a Centrino it will pay off in the long run,.. (if u can spare the cash)

or go for AMD (if thats a option :)
  • gizmoleeds
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you're not going to be using it for any power-intensive stuff then I would be inclined to say just go for the Celeron (Celeron M that is ;)) - it would suit your needs fine.
  • £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    I agree - for such basic use the Celeron-M would be fine. I'd go with a Pentium-M (Centrino) if there was a particularly good bargain. The perfermance difference between the two processors is not that great except to say Pentium M's usually come at faster speeds. I would certainly prefer to get 1.6ghz based Pentium-M for £579 rather than a 1.4 or 1.3 ghz Celeron-M for £499. But then Celeron-M's can be as cheap as £399.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure