wireless internet?

Options
Hi, I would like to have a wireless internet connection on my laptop, I have a normal PC with an ADSL broadband(usb modem) connection (tiscali), & I have a laptop IBM thinkpad r50e (intel wireless pro) and I'm wondering if anyone knew how to set up the internet on my laptop

I think I'll need a router but I'm unsure, does anyone know of a cheap decent router available?

How does wireless work?

How do I set this up

many thanks

Comments

• Mark_LJ
    Mark_LJ Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    There is an excellent article on on setting up wireless networks in this months Pc Pro - probably easiest way to do it is buy the mag and just follow the write up.
  • Sassy_Saver
    Options
    Just been to 5 different newsagents and no joy. Where can I get hold of a copy?
  • albertross_2
    Options
    Checkout the other wireless articles on the forum, there are many similar topics.. you need to also take heed of the security tips (enable encryption, disable ssid broadcasting etc..) If you have a BT line, you will need an adsl router (like a netgear dg834g), on cable a DSL router..
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    how does wireless work... simple answer is, it just does. That's the beauty of it.

If you're going to invest in a router invest in an ADSL router. You then plug the router up to the wall instead of your modem, plug the desktop computer into the router via ethernet cable (usually supplied with the router). then you tell the router what your details are to connect to the net and it takes care of the rest.

The wireless router will send out a signal and the wireless adaptor in the laptop will detect the signal and join it to the network and off you go.
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    GIRLPOWER_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    I am try to do this now..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business