BT overcharged me by £42 and won't give it back immediately

Options
jem16
jem16 Posts: 19,399 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
I've just changed over to Planet Talk and therefore downgraded my BT package from Option 2 to Option 1. I also changed to a whole bill monthly DD.

This has meant that my bill on the 9th November has been a bit complicated. However reading through it all carefully, BT managed to charge me twice for last quarter's line rental & Option 2. I phoned up BT and they agreed that I had been charged twice and said that I would be credited on next month's bill. Not acceptable I told them, I want it now as it's £36 plus VAT. We can't do that, it has to go on next month's bill as a credit and then you can ask for a refund.

I have phoned again complaining, written about 6 emails and all they say is that it's BT Policy of correct accounting procedures! So basically they can hang on to my money for a month because they made a mistake :mad:

Fortunately as I've now changed to monthly billing I'll get it back quicker but that's not the point. I want it now!

Does anyone have a postal address or email of someone higher up?

Comments

• iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Ask them what the complaint steps are, if follow it than can complain ultimately to OFCOM. Also are you sure they charge you too much cause they charge in advance. Actually no forget that cause you downgraded. Other option is look at direct debit guaranteed. But before 2AX reply, I would not recommend this (I myself find it worthless) and it depends on how you read it and more importantly the bank read it if it become worthwhile. But I think in your case probably asking them the steps complaint esp if you are doign it more out of principle over anything else.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I eventually found the complaints procedure page on BT's website and will follow that through tomorrow as they're not open on a Sunday.

The mistake arose because they ended up charging me twice for Option 2 from 15th August to 31st October when I took advantage of the Option 2 free for 3 months offer. They have admitted their mistake and apllied the credit to next month's bill. At that point my account will be in credit and I can ask for a refund. My argument is that as it is their mistake they should be able to rectify this month's bill and issue a new correct bill, especially as I told them the same day it was issued.

This month's bill is only £4.99 so there would be no point in going down the DD guarantee angle anyway.
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    not sure if this applies but can you claim it back from your bank under the DD guarantee .I claimed the FULL amount back when they took my money 5 days early .

BT also gave me 1 month free line rental .
    Ask for compensation ,you might get it .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure