wireless without a router

Options
is there anyway of connecting two pcs wireless but not using a router. all i reallly need to do is exchange files between rooms without having to move.

i know this can be done using a crossover cable but was odering if a similar simple solution is available ithout wires.
thanks
in advance.

Comments

• wealthsaver
    Options
    Yep!,

What you need to do is have a wireless adapter for each PC. Can be either USB, PCI internal or PCMCIA Cardbus depending on whether you have laptop desktop etc.

You can then configure each to be an access point or peer instead of a station or client to a wireless router or switch.
    Wealthsaving - a way of life?
  • Pulse
    Pulse Posts: 389 Forumite
    Options
    It's the same as with X-Over. Just have the modem on one pc, and set them up accordingly. There with be very little difference, just bear in mind that one pc is acting as the server, so needs to be on if you want to use the other one. :)
  • yaacov81
    yaacov81 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yep!,

What you need to do is have a wireless adapter for each PC. Can be either USB, PCI internal or PCMCIA Cardbus depending on whether you have laptop desktop etc.

You can then configure each to be an access point or peer instead of a station or client to a wireless router or switch.

thanks

so are you saying that i just need to usb adapters and thats it /
    (could I use the internet on both as well/)
  • Pulse
    Options
    I would recommend using PCI, as it's going to have the best connection, and best signal strenth etc (and cheaper usually!), but if you're not sure about computers and really dont want to do it, then yes, 2 usb adaptors will be fine. That's all you need. And yes, you can use the internet on both aswell, but the computer with the modem in/connected to it will need to be on for the other one to use the internet/share files.
  • yaacov81
    yaacov81 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    this is all great
    my question is , though, what is he advantage of getting a router then?
  • Pulse
    Options
    The advantage of getting a router is that you can have the modem plugged straight into the router, so you never have to worry about the other computer being on to get on the internet. (The master computer, which is providing the internet connection to the other computer effectively)... Also that a number of people can connect to it, instead of just the 2 people you will have on your network.

Basically you will have one wire connecting, so cannot have anymore people on the network, whereas the router has however many access points (usually 4, then 8, then 12, etc etc) :)

Hope this helps!
  • gavinp
    gavinp Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    yaacov81 wrote:
    this is all great

Security
    Speed
    Not slowing down main PC with modem due to managing shared connection
    Main PC does not need to be switched on
    Stability
    Problems with certain types of Internet traffic

A router is a far better solution.

Thanks

Gavin
  • wealthsaver
    Options
    yaacov81 wrote:
    this is all great

A router would allow 3 or more computers to connect with each other and be simultaneously access files on each others hard drive, printers and the internet. Adhoc peer-to-peer networks would allow only 2 systems to connect.
    Example at home I had a desktop, a laptop and a wireless pda and each could be in use by a member of the family at the same time. Downloading files and browsing the internet through a wireless adsl modem equiped router.

Also a router may offer a level of security if you connect to the internet. A firewall for example.
    Wealthsaving - a way of life?
  • cougar_3
    cougar_3 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    I've found that an adhoc network is very difficult to set up. It's best to get a router if you possibly can.
  • GizEzBez
    Options
    Can any of you guys recommend a reasonable adsl modem/router? I have a BT Voyager 100 so don't think I can get away with just a router.
    Charles J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport