Sharing files on network

Options
Hi

I have set up my wireless network using the Netgear DG834GT router and it's working fine.......except....I cant share files between computers. The files are shown as sharing but when I try to access from another computer they won't let me get at them.

Anybody want to suggest what I'm doing wrong? I'm reasonably computer literate but this has got me stumped :confused:

Cheers

Mr T

Comments

• Pulse
    Pulse Posts: 389 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same problem at the moment, but haven't bothered to do anything about it. Have you maybe tried using the network setup disc made by MS? It's just an exe which you can slip onto floppy.

Failing that, you've said you're computer literate, so I presume you have already checked there are on the same domain to start with? (If no changes have been made, they should be fine, as it is defaulted to 'Home' iirc)
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are several steps you have to perform in order to file share, and these depend somewhat on the operating system(s) you're using. The Microsoft stuff on this topic is pretty good, if lengthy. Look near the top hits on Google, also for PracticallyNetworked and TheElderGeek, lower down.

John
  • thesealeyboy
    Options
    One thing might be your firewall, Windows XP automatically firewalls LAN connections as well as Internet connections, however one would assume that it would automatically allow filesharing when you enabled it.

However, if you are using a 3rd party firewall then you will need to instruct it to either allow file sharing on your LAN or, if you wish, totally trust your LAN, although with a wireless network this is probably only wise if you are 100% sure your wireless netowrk is secure.
  • Genghis
    Genghis Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a firewall issue, but are all your computers in the same workgroup?
    Can you see the other computers in 'My Network Places'?
    Can you ping the other computers?
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da Vinci
  • misterthrifty
    Options
    Yep, I can see the other computers and the shared files but when I try to access I am denied.
    Mr T
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had to turn on NETBUI on both PC's to get sharing working

you also have to remember to right click on the folders you want to share and "Share" them

Firewall may also be causing problems, try turning the basic Windows xp one on and all others off
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • matty_c608
    Options
    What I do is to ensure each system has a static, unique IP address.

Then I create a Folder on the system called File Transfers.

Right Click it, hit properties, click sharing tab, tick 'Share this folder on the network', give it a shorter name, and then tick the box also below it called 'Allow Network Users to change my Files'

Then type into any address bar:

\\192.168.1.10

Assuming that the target machines IP is 192.168.1.10

This will bring up a list of folders that are shared on the machine, and you will find your shared folder, titled File Transfers, where you can drag and drop files!!!

It may sound a little confusing, probably my poor explanation, but have a go :)

Matt.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you using XP? If so, how old are the computers?

At work we have two machines which are three years old. We can see each other and access and change files. Both run XP.

We have now purchased a third machine running XP. Although my colleague running that machine can access the other two and open and change files, we can only access the shared document folder on hers. If you look through the help on sharing, it says you cannot share personal folders. I have not yet had the time to try to find another way round this and at the moment she is having to transfer files into shared documents for us to use them.
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check your NTFS Security permissions are correct (if in doubt, set to Everyone Full Control to start with) and also, try going to the Share and accessing the Properties. Then click on Sharing, then the "Permissions" button. Ensure an entry called "Everyone" is entered (if not add it) and check the Full Control Allow box. (This could be the culprit)

Also, check your firewall is allowing LAN access and file and printer sharing. If using XP, try running the Set up a Home or Small Office network wizard, and then ensure you pick the Turn on File and Printer Sharing option otherwise it won't work through Windows Firewall.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We can printer share with no problems. Will have a look at the permissions tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure