PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB is Ownhome Scheme the right move?

Options
Hi there,

My partner and I are first time buyers in Newcastle upon Tyne, we have recently been accepted on the ‘Ownhome Scheme’ https://www.ownhome.co.uk working in partnership with the co-operative bank and the government.

We can afford a mortgage of £120,000 using our 20% deposit we have saved up without using the scheme.

With the scheme we can take a 40% interest free loan/equity share for 5 years on the value of a property up to £158,000.

Would we be financially better off if we used the scheme to buy a more expensive property in a better location, and keep our deposit locked in our ISA, even though we would only own 60% of the equity of the property?

Any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Jumping_Bean
    Options
    My advice would be not to buy at the moment. House prices are falling rapidly. If you wait a couple of years you'll probably be able to get the £158,000 property for less than £120,000 and you'll own 100% of it and won't have the risk of negative equity. If the scheme still exists when prices have dropped then by all means use it then.
  • currynchips
    Options
    You have enough for a decent place using the money you have. Not sure of where you live right now but there are good houses in Cramlington, Dudley, Fawdon, Kenton, Fenham and South Gosforth for your £120k budget.
    My own experience of ownhome/mychoice homebuy govt schemes is they are simply not worth it. They withdraw funds on a whim, don't keep in touch, don't even care about your own situation. Don't use them.

As for the house prices, unfortunately no one really knows. I'd love prices to keep falling for 2 years then jump in, but I'll feel bloody silly if they start rising again shortly.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Wait and save .... things are dropping and you'll be top of the queue with a good deposit when things pick up!!
  • d0nmarc0
    d0nmarc0 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I do see the advantages of holding off but we are pretty desperate to move out. Is it definitely not worth going for the Ownhome scheme even if you know you can pay off the loan in 5 years?

Is it really a bad time to buy if we can comfortably afford to and granted the house prices are dropping but if we stay in the property for 5 years will we not potentially end up in positive equity as the market is predicted to recover (extremely slowly)?
  • CHARDONNAY_3
    Options
    Personally I've had nothing but hassle with these schemes (ownhome & mychoice homebuy) so my advice would be to avoid them&keep your sanity.

These schemes keep prices high, I think most people should avoid them & let the crash take full force then it will be better for all us FTB's.
  • fatpig_2
    fatpig_2 Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    artificial scheme to keep inflated house prices high. one to avoid me thinks
  • ips78
    Options
    Hi,

I am currently buying a property through this scheme. My experience so far has been positive, both with ownhome and co-op bank. Mortgage was approved today and the co-op told me there was still plenty of funds available from ownhome, so i should get confirmation on that shortly (i hope !).

As for whether it is better to use your deposit or the scheme, that's a difficult one. Personally, if i had your deposit i would use that and own the house 100% from the outset.

Anyway, don't be put off, if you need a house and its affordable, go for it !
  • ad44downey
    ad44downey Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    Options
    it'll be even more affordable in 1 or 2 years' time
    Krusty & Phil Madoff, 1990 - 2007:
    "Buy now because house prices only ever go UP, UP, UP."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income