We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Bargain peas !

Options
dont know if anyone has mention this before , so apologies if it has :rolleyes:
i bought a bag of marrowfat peas from the corner shop for 60p, the ones you soak to make mushy peas, and planted them.
they have proper gone mad, they are about 3 to 4ft high and have millions of flowers and pods, we have been grazing up and down them eating the half grown peas and they are fantastic !
i wasn't going to bother growing peas this year as all the packets i'd seen for normal peas were over £2 for about 50 seeds (i am a bit tight !) so im well chuffed with these !:T

Comments

• kprice580
    kprice580 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    stormchaos wrote: »
    dont know if anyone has mention this before , so apologies if it has :rolleyes:
    i bought a bag of marrowfat peas from the corner shop for 60p, the ones you soak to make mushy peas, and planted them.
    they have proper gone mad, they are about 3 to 4ft high and have millions of flowers and pods, we have been grazing up and down them eating the half grown peas and they are fantastic !
    i wasn't going to bother growing peas this year as all the packets i'd seen for normal peas were over £2 for about 50 seeds (i am a bit tight !) so im well chuffed with these !:T

I thinks me gonna try these!
    So have they grown into proper garden peas??

Thats so cool
    Katy x x
    If you dont ask you dont get to know....
    Sealed pot no277
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've done the same with Pinto beans as we use them once a week in chillis [as opposed to kidney beans]. They are going great guns. I'll be leaving them all on the plants until the pods dry out, and harvesting and drying the beans for year round use.
  • stormchaos
    Options
    katy,
    they aren't getting chance to fully grow yet as we keep eating them, but aparently they are just classed as large peas,:D
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    If they are growing too fast you can eat the pea shoots (the tips of the plants with the curly bit) in salads too or very briefly stir-fried.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • kprice580
    kprice580 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    stormchaos wrote: »
    katy,
    they aren't getting chance to fully grow yet as we keep eating them, but aparently they are just classed as large peas,:D

Could I sew them now?:confused:

If so I'll buy some at work tonight!:T

Katy x x
    If you dont ask you dont get to know....
    Sealed pot no277
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent, when did you sow them?
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Desperate_Housewife_2-2
    Options
    Thanks for this, I sprout mine and eat in salads so I suppose I could give them a go in the ground too.
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • stormchaos
    Options
    think its probably too late to sow some now, i cant remember when i put mine in, must be at least 2 mths ago, unless you have a green house, might be worth a try for 60p.
    ive tried eating the tops too, they were nicer than i thought , lol,
    going to try the sprouting thing too, never dared sprout anything before in case i poisoned meself !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure