Connecting to Wireless networks - how?

Options
I had the laptop in the car this morning and at a particular spot it was picking up 2 'unsecured' wireless networks. I was able to connect to both, but that's about it.
I tried IE but it didn't pick it up.

I was wondering if there was any way of finding the setup of the network eg whether it was using domains or workgroups, automatic or fixed IPs etc.

And can i connect to the internet through them.

- whether or not they were 'hotspots'

Comments

• djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    I think you are on dogy ground here unless you know they were hotspots. I'd be very careful connecting to someone elses network, unless you enjoy eating hospital food.
    Apart from it being illegal.
  • 1purplefairy
    Options
    Normally you should just be able to select the wireless network you want to connect to and then select connect. There are so many things that they could have done to make the network secure though. Just cause it says unsecure does not mean that you can actually connect to it. They might have set up rules using MAC addy's or something or only allow a certain network ip range.
    do you believe in Fairies?

It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    Netstumbler - allegedly!! :shhh:

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers Toxteth.

And the Microsoft website itself is very helpful also...
  • JoanneC_2
    Options
    Can anyone help me? I've just set up wanadoo broadband wireless in my house. I only have a laptop and that's all I'll be connecting to it. I followed the instructions and set it up wirelessly using the the little silver box that plugs into my laptop via a USB cable. The instructions said that once I had set it all up I could then adjust it so that it worked wirelessly using the wireless function built into my laptop (so I could then ditch the little silver box and cable making it properly wireless). I followed the instructions and adjusted the network connections. However, I now can't connect to the Internet. When I check the connection it says that it is working with an excellent signal and there is no problem with the wanadoo livebox - but everytime I try to access a website it won't let me. If I plug in the little siver box it connects and works no problem!! Help! As you can prob tell from this post I don't know much about computers and connections etc. but if you could give me any advice it would be much appreciated!!
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    Joanne

You may be trying to achieve the impossible! _pale_

I found this review of the Livebox: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/readerreviewall.php?reviewId=1201

which says that the Wanadoo adaptor needs to be used and that you cannot use the native wireless access from a laptop to connect!

Perhaps Google will find you more information.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the forum espresso

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
    :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:

It is not often you meet someone with one post who has already figured out how to set up an avatar!

Took me months to discover that those nice little pictures other people had that I wanted were called "Avatars"! :rolleyes:
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.

Well no-one can accuse me of pinching the avatar, as I created it for myself last Sunday! _pale_
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    espresso wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome.

Well no-one can accuse me of pinching the avatar, as I created it for myself last Sunday! _pale_
    I created mine too - it normally looks like this:

T0_-1_861846.jpg

but I tarted it up for Hallowe'en - it is my first ever animation (even though it is just two frames!).
  • JoanneC_2
    JoanneC_2 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you!! You have just saved me a whole heap of time and frustration!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure