have you had a settlement offer from Your bank recently?

Options
Hi
Has anyone had an offer from their bank recently in regards to a stayed claim

I ask due to a thread on Legal beagles

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9760

It mentions that

"halifax, lloyds and abbey....seem to be getting offers sent out."

and I was wondering because I would like to see if I can contact my bank and see if I can get thing moving again on hardship rules
:rotfl: Surely life can't get any worse it has to only get better from hear on out :j
January NSD aim 15days

Comments

• borgbaiter
    borgbaiter Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    hi

The ones being payed out are the ones qualifying as hardship. the new waiver has expanded what is classed as hardship and the banks mentioned seem to be accepting the inevitable and paying out upto 70% in these cases.

Borgbaiter
    claimed/settled - Natwest £2,535/£2,535, HSBC visa £80/£80, MBNA £1,258/£1,258, capital one £282/£282, tesco visa £515/£515, HSBC visa £140/£140. HSBC £1,450 MCOL Stayed for OFT case. Chelsea Mortgage charges & cashback £5000/£672. complaints with banks pending OFT Halifax £30, A&L £35. TOTALS £11,325/£5482
  • shooter
    shooter Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Hi gorbaiter
    Thanks for the reply
    Do you know of any cases in particular as I'm trying to find out as much info as possible so that together we might be able to come up with a viable strategy to fight the banks and get some of these hardship cases one of which is myself.
    If they are contacting enough people without being contacted by the claimants them we may be able to come up with a strategy.

:rotfl: Surely life can't get any worse it has to only get better from hear on out :j
    January NSD aim 15days
  • Ex-Spendaholic
    Ex-Spendaholic Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have had payouts (well they haven't actually been credited to my account yet but should be this week) from Halifax. They amount to £2944 on one account and £3300 on the other. They decided I met the financial hardship criteria. On the first account they have stated that they will bring the account up to its agreed overdraft limit then put towards any mortgage arrears with them and any surplus will be credited to the current account. The 2nd account they have stated they will bring the account up to its overdraft limit, then pay towards any credit cards arrears with them, then mortgage arrears and any left over to the current account.

I put these on the bank charges success thread.
  • shooter
    Options
    Thankyou for posting your success on my thread

Without adding any personal details could you post the timeline for this.

Did you contact them or Did they contact you? If they contacted you when and how

Did you have a stayed court case? when did you start you claim process

what were their financial hardship criteria? and if you don't mind telling us what were your difficulties?

did they ask you to sign that this payout would be full and final settlement of your compliant. if so were there any other conditions other than paying it towards your existing debts with them?
    (if they did they could be breaking the rules of the waiver)

Many thanks and looking forward to your reply
    January NSD aim 15days
  • Ex-Spendaholic
    Options
    Shooter, I will post all this for you tonight. I haven't got time just at the minute but I will answer your questions as best I can. :beer:
  • Ex-Spendaholic
    Options
    Hi Shooter,

I posted this all last night and then the system crashed. Hope it helps you in some way.

Without adding any personal details could you post the timeline for this.

April 2007

Requested charges information by phone

June 2007

Received letter to say they were inundated with similar requests and would get me what I need ASAP

Aug/Sep 2007

Received a lorry load of envelopes. As claiming was on hold I just fumed for a lot of months and wished I'd jumped on the bandwagon sooner.

1 June 2008

Sent Letter 1 for each account (2)

7 June 2008 (or thereabouts)

Received letters saying - sorry you aren't happy with us we will investigate. No mention of claiming being on hold

3 July 2008

Received letter offering me £2944 on A/C 1

16 July 2008

Phoned to ask what was happening with A/C 2. Was told that it was being looked at and I would hear in due course. They also mentioned that they may go over the 40 days and I would get a letter mentioning the Ombudsman

18 July 2008

Received letter offering me £3315 on A/C 2

Did you contact them or Did they contact you? If they contacted you when and how

See above

Did you have a stayed court case? when did you start you claim process

No. 2 June 2008

what were their financial hardship criteria? and if you don't mind telling us what were your difficulties?

No idea what their criteria were/are. I never asked for financial hardship to be taken into consideration. I merely sent the letters so I could have my claims registered and in place should the floodgates be opened after the court case concludes.

My financial difficulties were generally related to poor account management on my part - ie although there was a good income going in, I never knew where I was and didn't keep track of things. As a result things started to bounce - cheques, DDs etc. I then started to incur charges. Then when charges were being taken this was causing other things to bounce and hence more charges. It ended up as a never-ending spiral. As a result I got into arrears with some things and ended up on a DMP with several creditors. I did accrue some mortgage arrears (which are now sorted) and the 2 bank accounts I was claiming on ended up with the internal collections team.

did they ask you to sign that this payout would be full and final settlement of your compliant. if so were there any other conditions other than paying it towards your existing debts with them?
    (if they did they could be breaking the rules of the waiver)

No. They said that there offer was out of goodwill and without liability. They also said that my complaint would be kept on file and reopened after the court case to ensure that I'm not disadvantaged by the payout. No other T&Cs - money is going to ODs and CC arrears. I'm happy with that.
  • shooter
    Options
    WOW well done

Thankyou for the useful info
    Just out of interest did you get everything you asked for?
    January NSD aim 15days
  • Ex-Spendaholic
    Options
    I did. In fact I got about £300 ish extra on each account that I hadn't asked for. I have no idea whether this was interest that they decided to pay or if I had missed off a few charges in my calculations. Either way I wasn't going to argue. :rotfl:

Good luck with your claims.
  • shooter
    Options
    FANTASTIC
    thanks once again for sharing the details
    January NSD aim 15days
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport