USB ports dead, help please

Options
Hi I am trying to help my friend fix his Laptop, (make is Tiny).

All the USB ports no longer react and nothing happens on screen either as if they are not there. So now he can longer print etc because the printer is USB too.

I have looked at the CMOS and there is no where in there to deal with enabling or or disabling USB ports.

I then tried looking at device manger and there is no reference to USB in there either, again so no way to enable or disable. Had it been there I would have tried removing it so it finds them on boot up.

I did find in device manager the IEEE 1394 firewire but no reference to USB.

What can I do?

Is there a way to prove anything, ie if sockets have failed permanently?

Also is there anything physicaly I can do, ie a loose connection that often becomes loose that I should be looking at.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,811 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't say what OS the laptop has installed, but if it's Windows, presumably you've tried Control Panel, Add Hardware to see if it's picked up?

If not, you could try downloading one of the Linux LiveCDs and boot from that to see if it initializes the ports OK. If it does, you could try a Windows "repair install".

If it doesn't, a cheap solution would be to buy a PCMCIA to USB adaptor card and install that. Ebuyer sell a 2-port USB2 adaptor for £8.99.
  • happyhero
    happyhero Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi thanks for the advice, he has Win XP home running, I have not tried adding hardware but will give that a go hopefully tomorrow when I get to it again, although I have my doubts that will work but will give it a try.

What is Linux LiveCD ie what does it have to do with USB ports that would help?

Also (sorry for so many questions) how do I get to Windows "repair install"?

Lastly where would the PCMCIA to USB adaptor card plug in on the laptop?

If it plugs into the slot I think that he may have, my worry is that, that port would be dead too, ie do they not all come from the same place, I am thinking of those multi port things you can buy for a desktop PC with all the photo card slots and usb and firewire connectors on them, do they not all go back on one wire to a place in the PC so would that not be the same with all differing but existing ports on a laptop, or do they all come from different positions?
  • hippyadam
    hippyadam Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    You could try rebooting into safe mode, then in device manager remove any usb devices/hubs...

Then reboot & see if they come back....
  • fwor
    Options
    happyhero wrote: »
    What is Linux LiveCD ie what does it have to do with USB ports that would help?

Most current Linux distributions (such as Ubuntu) can be booted straight from the CD drive without making any changes to the hard disk. Linux should auto-detect all of the hardware, inc the USB ports. If it finds them, it's a Windows problem, if not it's (probably) a hardware fault. When finished, remove the CD and the PC will boot into Windows exactly as before.
    Also (sorry for so many questions) how do I get to Windows "repair install"?
    Boot from the Windows install CD, choose Install, let it find the existing installation and then choose Repair.
    Lastly where would the PCMCIA to USB adaptor card plug in on the laptop?
    It plugs into a small slot (approx 50mm wide) in the side of the laptop. Almost all full-size laptops have one.
  • happyhero
    happyhero Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to keep asking questions but with the pcmcia card I hear there are different ones/sizes, what is the best way to know what one he has or do they all fit?

Also getting back to original problem is there a way to prove the USB's on the laptop are dead so we know it is not worth bothering further with them and also to move on and buy a PCMCIA adaptor?
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    A number of USB devices get power from the USB port such as a usb pen drive plug one in and see if the light blinks at all, unfortunately not all of these have blinky lights. You can even get usb powered fans, lights etc but not sure if you have any of those things to hand.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • fwor
    Options
    Unfortunately, presence of 5 Volts on the USB port doesn't tell you that the port is alive logically. If the OP is correct and there are no USB devices shown in Device Manager then it's hard to see how it can be functioning.

Taking your second question first: The first paragraph in my last reply is a near-certain way of telling whether the problem is with Windows or is a hardware fault. It is non-disruptive and does not require you to install any software on the laptop.

First question: I bought this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/48669

It works fine on my old Compaq laptop, and was a cheap & easy way of getting USB 2 ports onto it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure