A-Z of bank/building society sort codes/account nos

Options
savers are often after the above details for standing orders etc, thought this would be a usefull link.

facinating to see who banks with who.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ntcmanual/misc_bankdetailsguide/bankdetailscont.htm#2

not sure if HMRC supply this info on CD:rotfl:

Comments

• Special_Saver2
    Options
    I am adding a link to this thread in the first post on my thread on regular savings accounts. (Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!)

The information on which building society uses which bank as a "sponsor" to receive funds will be particularly useful for people who want to make payments with the minimum loss of interest for the time the money is in transit to a regular savings account. It is also helpful for people to ensure that their money does not arrive too quickly in their regular savings account, e.g. money sent two bank working days before the 1st day of the next month but arrives too quickly because the sponsor bank deposits the money immediately or after only one bank working day. Check out this thread (transfers from Barclays to Principality, Cheshire, Bradford & Bingley) for more details.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks BLF.

Do we actually know of any other banks, aside from Barclays, where a payment from a personal account to a collection account with the same bank goes through more quickly than it would through BACS?

(I am not counting where you have a reg saver or other account and a current account with the same bank - as these are true 'internal' transfers)

I thought I was told that my Egg (uses HSBC) payments to West Brom (uses HSBC) were only taking one day instead of two but I haven't been able to confirm this. Otherwise it still seems to take two days
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • s71hj
    s71hj Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are there any hard and fast rules re transfer times. I have HSBC, Alliance and Leicester, Norwich and Peterborough, Halifax, Lloyds current accounts, and a stack of regular savers with building societies, so if I knew the transfers were always instant or next day, I may set them up accordingly. Mind you Lloyds pay interest for 3 days after a standing order /dd leaves my current account anyway, so that may well be almost as good! Would be worth getting dosh into the real high payers instantly like w brom and chorley santa saver though.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Milarky wrote: »
    Thanks BLF.

Do we actually know of any other banks, aside from Barclays, where a payment from a personal account to a collection account with the same bank goes through more quickly than it would through BACS?

(quote]

i may be :confused: at what u are posing, do u mean that if someone banks with LloydsTSB cheques etc to loughborough go through quick due to loughborough banking with lloyds/tsb.

i send loughborough 3 cheques a month ( same posting) and cheques that loughborough have off me take same length of time to clear as a cheque i pay into nationwide. ( i.e pay in both on a monday, both are shown as clearing on a wednesday)

Reason for the nationwide/loughborough comparison is that ive seen it posted on here that nationwide clear cheques quicker because it clears its own cheques. i.e doesnt use a third party to clear cheques.

loughborough pay interest on cheques one working day after working day of receipt. ;)
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i send loughborough 3 cheques a month (same posting) and cheques that loughborough have off me take same length of time to clear as a cheque i pay into nationwide. ( i.e pay in both on a monday, both are shown as clearing on a wednesday)
    It's better to pay Loughborough from the Lloyds Classic+ by transfer rather than cheque because Lloyds say they pay interest for the number of days it takes any payment to arrive - to any bank. Assuming they work this out by adding the appropriate number of working days there is no incentive on them to make the payment any quicker - despite the fact that Loughborough's account is held at Lloyds - and could in principle be transferred internally the same day.

[I just wondered if anyone knows of non-Barclays examples where the bank payments go more quickly than the usual 2 days - preferably same day?]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Milarky wrote: »
    It's better to pay Loughborough from the Lloyds Classic+ by transfer rather than cheque because Lloyds say they pay interest for the number of days it takes any payment to arrive - to any bank. Assuming they work this out by adding the appropriate number of working days there is no incentive on them to make the payment any quicker - despite the fact that Loughborough's account is held at Lloyds - and could in principle be transferred internally the same day.

quote]

true however majority of people only have one current account. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure