PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning leather sandals

Options
:wave:

Hi I wonder if anyone has been successful in cleaning the inside sole of a pair of leather sandals?

I don't want to put them in the washer as I expect it would damage the leather, but I've a pair of Ecco sandals that are sooooo comfy and are 3 years old. Trouble is I got soaking wet in the rain last week and they are just so marked and now sadly getting smelly. It seems such a shame to throw them out as they look like they've got years left in them.

Hope you can help

Thanks
A penny saved is one you don't have to earn! :wave:

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

We have a MEGA Index sticky at the top of the Old Style forum listing. It has a large section on Cleaning.

Listed under "shoes" are some threads which might help you, especially the one about wet hiking boots.

To go directly to the cleaning section Click Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Rabbit
    Rabbit Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Squeaky, I will try putting them in the washer first and see what happens. I have nothing to lose really as they are getting unwearable. I will let you know how I get on.

The link you gave me is great, DH wanted to know about his walking boots, so it was very helpful.

BFN
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're very welcome :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Rabbit
    Rabbit Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    :hello:

The sandals have come out brilliant. I washed them on a 40 wash and left them to dry naturally in the kitchen. Rubbed loads of polish on them and left for the afternoon, then polished them, they look like new. Thanks for the help. I'm so pleased to have them back to use again.
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    I often wash leather shoes in the machine but usually on a cooler wash
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried it with some old trainers a while back. They came out lovely and clean :)

Then they curled up like Turkish slippers!
    :rolleyes:
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    that's why I always do on a cold wash now
    still come clean but don't shrink up
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll try it on lower temps next time I have a pair I don't mind risking, thanks.
  • emr_2
    emr_2 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    i try washing everything in the machine (except the children, of course) - no disasters yet.
  • wotadvert63
    Options
    i think leather accessories can't be able to be washout because after washing them they became use less their stuff become so rough and there shinning become badly dul..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure