£20 Free advertising on Google

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
Just a quick one. You can get £20 worth of free advertising on Google here.

However, do be careful - monitor the amount that you've been given, as once you spend past the £20 you start paying from your own pocket.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• DJV
    DJV Posts: 11 Forumite
    I've just registered for the £20 discount, only to find that it takes up to 3 days to arrive via email ! I would have thought that google would have had this process fully automated with an instant response ? Maybe there are technical reasons that prevent them doing this.

Assuming I go ahead with their advertising, I'll come back to this forum to advise others of how successful it has been at promoting my rental apartment in La Manga, Spain.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    :mad:
    My 3 days has passed (as of 1pm this afternoon) - and no code yet!!!

I'll wait until 1pm Tuesday - (the working day scenario) and see what happens.

Come on google! I wanna advertise!!!!
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Its nearly 5 days now and i am still waiting for mine!!!!!!
    PF.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Got it this morning! SO excited!!!!
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    not got mine :(
  • digp
    digp Posts: 2,013
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    not working anymore
  • DJV
    My voucher came yesterday. Having gone through the google adwords tutorial and seeing the from 4p per click pricing, I was shocked to see them suggesting a figure of £2.95 per click to guarentee a top level listing ! I think that I had been a bit nieve though, as I thought that I was going to get one of the highlighted sponsered links at the top of the search page ! What you need to be aware of, is the fact that there are many sponsered links down the right hand side of the search page – up to 50-60 for some of the keywords that I have entered ! A 4p per click advert will appear somewhere towards the back of this list, i.e. about 8 search pages back. Today I’ve upped my pence per click rate to 5p (hey big spender !), but that doesn’t seem to have much effect on the listing position. I’ve also added a load of new keywords (the google suggestion option was really good for this), so I’ll see if things improve.

The good news is that I’ve still got £15 worth of credit left (original free £20 minus the standard £5 activation fee), so at least all of this experimentation is not costing me anything yet !

If I find a magical solution and start to receive a significant increase in the number of clicks/hits, I'll come back and let everyone know how I did it.
  • chris73
    chris73 Posts: 364 Forumite
    Try and pitch your keywords to be less 'obvious' and more of a niche area. for example if you sell Digital Cameras then your first instinct is to use the phrase 'Digital Camera' on Adwords. Thus joining another 1000 other adwords users all clammering for the same phrase and the keyword value goes up tenfold.

Instead use less obvious and slightly less relevant keywords which may have been overlooked by the masses. Okay your traffic may be less but so will your keyword cost - and not everybody uses the most obvious searches on Google (especially when it produces 1,456,000 matches) and your carefully chosen keywords may appeal to those visitors who don't! ;)
  • DJV
    Thanks for that. I've already added 2 more specific/niche keywords, and I'll add more as I think of them.
  • Ickle_Steve
    Ickle_Steve Posts: 154 Forumite
    Make sure you use more than one keyword word on each keyword line. For example "moneysaving expert" not "moneysaving" and "expert" as seperate keywords otherwise you'll be competing with anyone offering moneysaving or expert services. Also making use of the phrase "" marks will target searches on "moneysaving expert" rather than "expert at moneysaving", etc.
    It's better to have the Ad show up less times but more targeted otherwise you'll be paying for people clicking your Ad to see if it's what they're looking for.
    Steve
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport