PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Thriftlady's wartime experiment

Options

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thriftlady...while I was away DD4 made jam with gooseberries and elderflower....maybe they are all gone in UK but we seem to have lots still. Not sure what proportions she used but the jam is lovely, if a little sweeter than mine would have been.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Just remember, people - there was no test for cholesterol during the war ;)
    Some of the recipes and meal plans people used are real artery blockers :eek:

that could be true but remember people did a lot more physical work then and most likely burned up all the excess fats in their blood
    i am enjoying reading this thread very much too, i can still remember the rabbit gran used to cook in the big cast iron pan, lovely it was
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    My parents were born during the
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    My parents were born during the war and they both lived in fairly rural areas. I think both had evacuees with them at some point. My dad has really funny stories. The rationing didnt really affect them the same way as they had a farm, they had a milking cow and his dad grew various crops. My mum would have been more affected but my grandma was a true wartime mother and when she used to cook for me would get every spare bit of meat off the bone. She would often make desserts and used the fruit that grew in the garden in her cookery.

One of my favorites was lent pie, does anyone know how you make this? I know you stick pastry round the edges, its semolina or something and it has sultanas in it I think. Gorgeous with golden syrup!
  • jauntmoneyneeded
    Options
    :confused: Hello all, this is the first time I have replied to a thread. I am a technophobe can't even find threads I was looking at yesterday!!Hope this works, I made this recipe years ago when it was in the Womans Own 50th birthday magazine in 1982. Yes I still have the mag sad aren't I??

1+1/2 lb root vegetables, diced
    4 spring onions chopped
    1/2 pint cheese sauce
    2 tablespoons parsley chopped
    salt and pepper
    6oz wholewheat flour
    1+1/2ozs lard
    1+1/2ozs marg
    1/2 teaspoon sage

Cook and drain vegetables, mix with onions,sauce parsley and seasoning.
    Pour into a deep pie plate. Heat oven to Mark 6, 400deg F, 200deg C.
    Seive flour and pinch of salt, rub in lard and marg,add sage and enough cold water to make a dough, knead until smooth. Roll out until just larger than the dish.Dampen edge of dish put a strip of pastry round edge, moisten cover with lid make a cross slit in cente fold open bake for about 30mins.
    Scrummy.
    Trying to get to grips with all these debts.

cc1 0% ends aug £2045:eek:
    cc2 5.9% £1967:eek:
    cc3 0% ends july £559:eek:
    overpaid child tax credit £270 :mad:
  • daisyroots_2
    daisyroots_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Thought you might like this letter from my Dad (Lofty) in London to my Ma, evacuated with me in Leicester, in the summer of 1944. The spelling is typical of my Dad, and the letter shows how important growing vegetables was, but also a reminder of life before the NHS. For those who don't remember 5/6d equals about 26p.

summer 44
    O my Pschweetest, Gnicest, Llusciousest. Here are a pair of cheques - one for £3 and tother in case of knecessity, amount to be filled in by you and don't be too damn optimistic.

The rain is streaming down, this Saturday afternoon on old Islington. This morning I was on duty with Miss Lee (cashier, you should recall her, big, fat fair girl) and Rene Fisher. I have put another coat of paint on the tray. Bill writes to say he is going on leave soon to Kashmir - Darjeeling I suppose. I think it is in Kashmir. The beans are 9" long, but the tomatoes are reluctant to ripen. I bought myself some socks (2 prs blue-grey 5/6d all told) at Bentalls, the sock situation being to coin a phrase acute.

I think the varicose vein doctor stung you. Write to me a full account of the whole business, and try to find another doc:- if you can't, write to Preston and tell them you can't get fixed up. That is a NORDER. I'll send you later a short note from Tina urging us to go back to Liverpool, and when I've closed this I'll write back, relieving her mind.

The news from France keeps good - flying bombs are rarer and soon, maybe!….AH
    Lofty
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
  • wisewoman
    wisewoman Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thriftlady! I have nominated this for post of the month.
    Mortgage Free in Three cheerleader
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What a fantastic letter Daisyroots -I love your Dad's spelling and prose style.

I'd forgotten there was no NHS until after the war. How lucky my generation is never to have been without it.

Tea tonight

Well, it's been a busy day and I didn't get round to stewing rhubarb and making custard. We had strawberries instead. I must say doing this experiment in the summer means I can take advantage of all the homegrown soft fruit and salad veg around. I'm not sure it would be as easy in the winter as the kids aren't as keen on cabbage and swede as they are on tomatoes and peas.

Macaroni cheese was very nice. I didn't want to waste my butter on making a roux for the cheese sauce so I cooked the bacon I was going to put in the dish first, and used the fat from that to make the sauce. Later it occured to me that I could have made the sauce with cornflour and not needed any fat at all. But, the bacon fat did add a lot of flavour which was just as well as there wasn't much cheese in it.

There was also leek, carrot and peas in the macaroni.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    wisewoman wrote: »
    Hi thriftlady! I have nominated this for post of the month.
    Bless your heart -thanks :T
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all

I haven't read through the whole thread yet (sorry, I am embarrassed and I WILL read it soon!), but it did occur to me that in terms of food and consumption evolvement then perhaps there are countries around the world which have a normal diet similar to that maintained in the UK during the war. Take a look at this thread, which sparked this thought: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=479417. It is so interesting to see what families elsewhere eat. We don't know how lucky we are - but then our rates for heart attacks, strokes and so on a so forth aren't exactly reflective of a healthy society. Have we really evolved? Are so called developing countries actually eating more healthy than us?

I work in a supermarket and the amount of processed food for main meals, and the amount of snacks, cakes, biscuits and fizzy drinks which goes through the checkout per customer sometimes makes my chin drop!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback