PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Diet cauliflower cheese

Options
I'm trying to get my daughter off ready meals so I've been playing. Here's tonights effort.

450g frozen cauliflower (1/2 of ASDA value 900g bag so 24p)
150g of Tesco healthy living cheese spread (3/4 of 200g tub so 45p)
80g of Tesco value frozen peas (8p)

Boil cauli and peas for 15 minutes. Transfer to glass dish and put on sprinkle of Parsley. Spread on cheese spread with knife. Bang under grill until cheese is starting to get burnt spots here and there. (I tried melting the cheese spread in a warm saucepan but it didn't work and wasn't nescesary anyway).

Feeds 2. Per portion is 250 calories / 38p
Regards

X
Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
Sleep properly
Save some money

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Or proper cheese sauce made with skimmed milk and proper mature cheddar? Or some creme fraiche mixed with grated cheddar.

Not sure about calories for these so apologies if they're way higher than your idea.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Or try pureed sweetcorn with a little skimmed milk or water added to thin kto sauce consistancy & just top with low fat chedder? I do this when my dad, who "doesn't like" sweetcorn but is getting a bit podgy, comes for dinner (mums instructions are secret low fat dinners please!;) )
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Will try the pureed sweetcorn trick as am having cauli cheese tonight. Thanks.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't shoot me down for not putting this on the recipe thread;) I think it should be here!

Vegan cauliflower 'cheese'
    one cauliflower
    white sauce made with soya milk, (about half a pint) flour and vegetable margarine
    one tablespoon of marmite
    breadcrumbs from one slice of bread - any sort

Cook the cauli by bringing to the boil then leaving in the lidded pan SWITCHED OFF for 10 mins, unless you like soggy veg
    make a white sauce with the other ingredients
    add half the breadcrumbs to the sauce, and the other half put on top of the cauli mixed with the sauce in a dish
    bake as conventional recipe or microwave on high for 4 minutes
    eat!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    will try tha first cauli recipe sounds yummy i am on weight watchers and the tesco low fat cheese stuff is yummy thanks.
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can also make a vegan cauli cheese using nutritional yeast flakes - they are 'cheesy' and my kids don't know the difference - although marmite being yeast extract might have a similar effect.
  • Penny-Wise_4
    Options
    You can make a cheese sauce using skimmed milk – if you use some mustard and a chicken/vegetable stock cube you can use much less cheese and still get lots of flavour.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I only cook with low fat cheese... melted can't really taste the difference and healthy for everyone. Also I use a lot of evaporated milk in cooking. Makes a brilliant white sauce with a bit of flour.
    And if the cream has gone off, low fat cream cheese with milk (in the microwave and then mix well) works just as well.
    The kids never see the difference.

I also have the best lowfat seafood chowder recipe...using eveoprated milk and flour. Just as tasty as the real thing.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure