PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

spreadsheets to manage outgoings?

Options
i know this has been done before :o but i am a bit of a novice with technology [ie spreadsheets] so currently use a bit of paper to work out my outgoings :eek:

would anyone care to tell me exactly how to set one up and manage it? It would need to be in words of one syllable tho......
:rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
aug grocery spend - £166.45

Comments

• Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got Excel and can you use it?

If "Yes but No" It's probably worth you getting a copy of Excel for Dummies or something similar (off Ebay, or Amazon Used/New) - an edition which refers to an earlier version of Excel than the one you've got should be fine, as long as it's not earlier than Excel 97. Don't get one that refers to a LATER version than you've got, or you'll find that your computer won't do half the things it says in the book.

Once you've got the hang of the basics, you can set up your own spreadsheet with transactions down the left hand side, and "budget pots" across the top. A spreadsheet is like an instant calculator - you set it up so (for example) whenever you enter an expenditure amount, it subtracts it from what you had before. If you get a bit more advanced you can use a few different sheets linked together, which can be handy if you've got several accounts.

I would like to be more helpful but I use Excel loads in my job, programming macros and stuff like that (which is so advanced that temp agencies don't even test for it) and I don't think I'd be great at explaining it to a beginner.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions though and I'll do my best.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • swampytiggaa
    Options
    i have excel and used to be able to use it :o but children have changed my brain to mush :D

will have a look for that book - am off to the library this week - might be worth asking in there?

thanks again
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Options
    Just as a matter of interest, which version of Excel DO you have?

I've changed my mind about what I said before - I probably CAN talk you through it (I talk people through Excel stuff at work all the time, and to be honest, if as you say you USED to be able to use it, you're a bit more advanced than some of my colleagues!). But I can't do it now, as I've just finished my lunch and have to get back to work. If nobody else gets in here with a good solution before I get home this evening I'll see if I can help.
  • swampytiggaa
    Options
    dunno really - is part of the office suite that came with windows millenium :o isn't really what i was used to working with [very ocassional spreadsheet use at work] so i had a bit of a go with it then got put off :o

would appreciate any help you could give me tho.....
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Options
    Sounds like you've got Excel 2000.

Like I said, I'll get back in touch later if I need to. I'm sure you'll have had lots of feedback from everyone else by then though!
  • Penny-Wise_4
    Options
    This is how I have done my excel spreadsheet for my budgeting (sorry if this is a bit basic/not basic enough :D ):

The first column going down on the sheet is for the date and the second is for the day of the week. (Some items come out say on the 15th each month and some come out every Monday, like weekly pocket money, so I need both)

The first row going across names the different accounts or pots: miscellaneous, food money, bill money, savings.

I have four columns going down for each account or pot, and the second row heads these as: money in, money out, balance and description.

I put a border line down every 4th column to separate the accounts.

Basically when you enter details from your receipts/bank statements/etc you put money coming in in the first column, money going out in the second column and the description in the fourth column.

This is roughly what it would look like. The letters at the top and numbers at the side are the row and column identifiers

____A_______B__________C_____D______E________F

1_____________________Miscellaneous

2__Date______day______in____out_____balance__description

3__11/04/05__MON____________________50.00____opening balance

4___________________________10.00___40.00____ATM

You can get excel to add up the balance column for you to automatically get the balance.

If you had it set up exactly the same as mine (i.e row 1 is account heading, row 2 says ‘in/out/balance/description’ column A is date, column B is day and the ‘balance’ column is column E) you would put in Column E row 3 (cell E3) the opening balance.

Then in cell E4 you would type: =E3+C4-D4

This essentially is: opening balance + money in – money out.

Then you would click on cell E4 and press the shift key and use the arrow keys to select down say 30 squares (for 1 month). Then press the control key and ‘D’ at the same time. This will copy the formula down into the selected cells. It should automatically alter the formula for you so that:
    Cell E4 reads E3+C4-D4
    Cell E5 reads E4+C5-D5
    Cell E6 reads E5+C6-D6
    Etc etc

So that it adds up the right day’s balance for you and you don’t need to work each one out yourself.

Hope that helps (or at least doesn't make it worse). If you have any questions post them and i will try and answer them.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • backflip
    backflip Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Try Easy Cash Manager for an uncomplicated and easily understood programme which covers most needs without demanding any knowledge of spreadsheets.
    http://ecm.moor-software.com/
    ....and it's free :D
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Or get yourself a cheap copy of Microsoft Money? Very easy to use, I've seen it for a fiver in a charity shop and on Ebay. I think old versions (perfectly OK) are available on Amazon. It's so straightforward and does loads of analysis and forecasting for you. I wouldn't be without mine.
  • moneywasternomore!
    Options
    Magentasue wrote:
    Or get yourself a cheap copy of Microsoft Money? Very easy to use, I've seen it for a fiver in a charity shop and on Ebay. I think old versions (perfectly OK) are available on Amazon. It's so straightforward and does loads of analysis and forecasting for you. I wouldn't be without mine.

I second that. Downloaded the free 90 day trial version from MS site, and am now busily inputting all my data. Haven't got to the monthly financial planning (in detail) yet, but have added all of our ISAs, stocks, loans etc giving a very visible breakdown of our net worth - I'm not quite as depressed as I used to be! Wish I'd discovered it when my ISAs were in freefall though..........still, 6 years on and only worth a grand less than the purchase price. :confused:

Still, witht he tips and inspiration on here, we should be able to claw that back in no time!! :D
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Or just get a cheap cash book :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business