PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I shift mould/mildew stains from a pram??

Options
Help needed!

I'm expecting my second baby and on looking out my old car seats/pram etc discovered that they had got a bit damp in the garage. Some of the covers have mould/mildew stains on them that hasn't come out in a wash.

Does anyone have any suggestions to shift these stains or at least lift a good part of them - I don't want to go and buy new pram covers etc!

Ta much

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the boards Weegie.

I dont think you can actually shift the mildew stains to be honest, you could try a weak solution of bleach, but that is likely to bleach the colour of them.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Weegie,

I'm sure one of the vinegar brigade girls will be able to help you on this one ;) , they deffo helped me with loads of things around my gaff.

Welcome by the way :beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I found this which maybe beneficial to you.
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Weegie (loving the handle btw :D ). For any white bits of the fabric etc, whitening toothpaste may work for you - just make sure you rinse well afterwards.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    try rubbing with salt and half a lemon, it worked on my shower curtain.
  • weegie_2
    weegie_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent - thanks very much. I'll try the lemon and salt solution first and see if that works. Bleach is my last resort if nothing else works!

I did think of using some kind of vinegar solution but I'm not really sure what to mix it with - if any vinegar expert is in the know...do let me know!
  • carpool72
    carpool72 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    weegie, I had exactly the same problem. Tried a few things, but Astonish Oxiplus powder worked like a charm - just soaked everything in it then washed it all in the bath & it all came up like new. I washed the cot & hard things with Milton, but would probably use vinegar now!

btw I use distilled white vinegar diluted in water for all sorts of things now. For laundry (ie stinky baby sick) a not very scientific cupful of vinegar to a basinful of water and soak until you can be bothered to wash it!
    £2 savers club - £62

Relaunched grocery challenge:

March target: £150 on food, £50 on other stuff - still not doing very well at keeping track...:o

:hello:
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    carpool72 wrote:
    Astonish Oxiplus powder worked like a charm

A solution of vinegar and bicarb has similar properties to all the Oxi cleaners, I'm no chemist and I'm sure Crana will correct me on that ;) , but in my experience they work the same.

When you first mix it it fizzes like crazy so do it over the sink.

I use a neat mix to de-gunge plug holes (sprinkle a bit into the plug hole then add the vinegar then wooosh)

I use a slightly diluted mix (1 part each of vinegar, bicarb and water) to keep the shower curtain clean.

I use a more diluted mix (1 part each of vinegar and bicarb, 2 parts water, 2 or drops of essential oils) as a fabric softner.

Speaking of getting baby clothes clean try replacing a cupful of wash powder for a cupful of soda crystals it gets them whiter than white.
    (I haven't actually got a baby, but it works on hubbies T-shirts and he's probably a messier eater :D )
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, how I wish I'd found this site a few years ago ... I ended up throwing out an expensive pair of curtains because they had a mildew stain that no amount of soaking/washing would get rid of :o

I can vouch for soda crystals, as mentioned by Galtizz, as I use them on my son's incredibly muddy football kit and the white parts come out sparkling clean ... better than a Daz advert :rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you use the soda crystals?
    Love living in a village in the country side
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income