PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meat dry and tasteless when cooked in slow cooker.

Options
I have a large Morphy Richards slow cooker and I find that when I cook stews or curries in the slow cooker the meat ends up very dry and tasteless despite there been plenty of stock/sauce. I've tried cooking the meat dishes on low for half a day but it makes no difference. Where am I going wrong and what can I do about it? I'd like to have a go at cooking a 1kg gammon joint in there later on. Does anybody have any tips on cooking a tasty gammon joint in the slow cooker?

Comments

• alikat_3
    alikat_3 Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    I havent got a slow cooker myself, but I've had some very tasty meals cooked by friends & family in a slow cooker. 2 things that add flavour to a meal are salt & fat, so I can only suggest you season after you have sealed the meat & buy from a butcher rather than supermarket as the meat from a butcher will have been hung & as so the fat will add flavour.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Do you "seal" your meat before putting it into the SC Rachel?

Also, for flavour, as alikat says, the source of your meat will make quite a difference. Supermarkets sell fast and cheap and often at the expense of flavour.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Alikat and Queenie. I sealed the meat last time I cooked a beef stew and I have used butchers meat before. I'll buy some butchers meat on Tuesday and seal it before cooking in the slow cooker, and I'll get back to you with the results.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Best of British Rachel - yes, do let us know how you get on. :)

As for cooking a gammon joint in your SC, a quick look around the SC Collection highlighted these threads. ....

- Gammon in SC?
    - Gammon - Cooking a joint in SC?
    - Gammon - is gammon good in slow cooker
    - Gammon Joint - What to do?
    - Gammon Joint in SC?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Options
    As the title suggests, I am yet to make a meal in the slow cooker that contains tender meat. It is always dry in an obviously over cooked way. How do you get round this?

I currently have a sweet and sour chicken in the slow cooker, as per a recipe I found on this board, with the typical 'bung it in and leave all day till teatime'. It's been in for 2 hours on medium setting (purely because low does nothing) and the chicken is already cooked (& dry!) whilst the peppers, carrots etc will only improve over the next 6 hours or so. Should I remove the chicken? Or should it miraculously tenderise over the remainder of the day? Last time I did pork and left it; but it did not improve over time.:o

Please help! I didn't brown the chicken beforehand. But is this the secret? Any ideas welcome. :)
  • CravingSaving
    Options
    Unless cooking a whole lump of meat (eg whole chicken, lamb shanks etc) you need to have a lot of liquid. Certainly enough to cover the vegetables or they will end up like cardboard. If you have used a tin or packet of sweet n sour sauce, I would just add the same amount again of water, or chopped tomatoes, or pineapple juice (or combo of all three to keep the sweet n sour thing going).

Good luck!
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Lunar_Eclipse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    Unless cooking a whole lump of meat (eg whole chicken, lamb shanks etc) you need to have a lot of liquid. Certainly enough to cover the vegetables or they will end up like cardboard. If you have used a tin or packet of sweet n sour sauce, I would just add the same amount again of water, or chopped tomatoes, or pineapple juice (or combo of all three to keep the sweet n sour thing going).

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly I have done that. The chicken is in chunks, but covered in sufficient liquid - I'm trialling the value sweet & sour sauce with tinned tomatoes and some pineapple juice from the tinned fruit. The veg are fine - cooking nicely, it's just that the chicken is done and quite dry since I suspect it is being 'over-cooked'. Oh well, I've turned it down to the lowest setting and will see how it turns out at dinner time. ;)

If this doesn't work, I'm going to start adding any meat in recipes hours after everything else, say 2 hours from dinner time. The slow cooker will master our household yet! :)
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what sort of chicken is it? when I've tried to use chicken breast or fillet it always ends up very dry - the meat just doesn't have enough fat in it. your better off with thigh or leg meat.

same with beef - if it's a more pricey cut then it dries out, but cheaper beef will cook beautifully.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • The_shuffs
    The_shuffs Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Hi when i use my slow cooker which i do a lot i get a lot of condensation build up under the lid and that drips into the pot which makes the sauce/gravy runny is that meant to happen or maybe i need a new one ????? Rachael
    Hi still have debts to clear :mad: working towards a DFL my family have grown over the last 2 years I very proud to say I now have 3 beautiful Grandchildren :T My DF fight continues :):):):):)
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    You will get condensation.

Just thicken the sauce before serving if its too thin or add a little less liquid when making it.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport