Money & Fitness Queen: Go Go MSE Jenny

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's "Go.. Go.. Go.. MSE Jenny money and fitness queen" blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• When I lived in Raynes Park ("West Wimbledon" :rolleyes:) I used to cycle to Blackfriars in the City every day for many years (to 3 different firms). It took 45 minutes, was actually faster than the car, train, bus or tube, and was fairly painless. Took all my shirts in on Monday, back on Friday and kept 2 suits at work (easier for blokes ;)). Apart from the odd puncture and routine maintenace, my costs were zero - I had the bike already. With the grants available you can even save 50% off the cost of your bike thanks to the taxman :D

The best thing was the fitness from cycling 120 miles a week. Then again, I've a couple of friends who cycle in from Teddington...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • Rave
    Rave Posts: 513 Forumite
    I was going to say that simply cycling in to work would be a lot quicker and nearly as beneficial. I would worry about the long term effects on your hips and knees of running for an hour and a half every day- I genuinely think you could be storing up problems in the long term.

Also, assuming Jenny gets the bus in in the morning and then runs home, is a total of 2 1/2 hours commuting every day not a bit detrimental to a good work/life balance? I work as a bus driver from a garage 10 miles from home- the money's good, but the hours are long and variable and it's only worthwhile because I commute by motorbike, usually less than 30 mins in each direction. I reckon if her journey is an hour by bus, it'd be 45 mins by bicycle, which overall is an hour and a half a day, so it's the same time spent exercising, plus an extra hour of spare time. Which, to me at least, would make a lot of difference:).
  • You're right, Rave. Cycling is essentially "low impact", though it can get a bit hard on the knees if you struggle in too high a gear (so don't;)). The good about cycling thing is that you can potter if you're feeling tired and still arrive only 5 minutes later. With running, it's much less forgiving, so people will often take the bus/train/tube.

I also found it a great way to wind down after a day at work...
    Jumbo

• I used to run home behind a bus and saved 89 pence, but I got smart, now I run home behind a taxi and save £4.40 !
  • I would recommend anyone to buy a bike and cycle to work. If you are like me and are too mean to pay a health club subscription (which you KNOW you won't use). I developed a bad case of middle aged spread and decided that
    it wouldn't hurt me to cycle the mile or so to work every day.(takes me half an hour). Best decision I ever made. I bought a second-hand bike for £35 and since I started using it about 3 months ago, I have already seen the benefits. Plus, someone told me that people who regularly cyle add 10 years to their life! Might just be an uban legend but hey, its not going to do you any harm. (The bike carries your weight).

My last tip is that you buy a padded saddle cover to preserve your sanity!
    Whats the use of happiness? It can't buy you money. Henry Youngman
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the tips :) I have actually dabbled with the idea of cycling but there are two probs. First there's nowhere to keep a bike in my ickle flat and second if I got a foldaway, I'm a little worried about my total lack road sense. I don't drive and managed to actually failed my cycling proficiency test when I was 11 - they don't normally fail people but I think they made a special exception! However, boyfriend is keen cyclist so thinking of going on some short rides at the weekend to build up my confidence as after reading posts it does seem to make sense!
  • My last tip is that you buy a padded saddle cover to preserve your sanity!
    Be careful about padded saddle covers - I've only known 2 people who used them, and they were both very saddle-sore :eek: Just make sure that your saddle has enough padding for your sit-bones, and that it is the right shape, angle and fit. Too squishy means that it transfers weight to parts of your anatomy that are not meant to carry anything, and causes problems for both sexes (:eek: again).

Saddles are sex-specific, as women's sit-bones are further apart than men's, and for commuting they should have some sort of groove in the middle, or even a hole. Too many bikes are sold with a saddle more like a knife-edge
    M052.jpgM141.jpg

Rant over. BTW, cycling's where I earned my motto ;)
    Jumbo

• Rave
    Rave Posts: 513 Forumite
    and decided that
    it wouldn't hurt me to cycle the mile or so to work every day.(takes me half an hour).

Right hang on, one mile, half an hour, that's 2mph, or less than walking pace? Surely not?:eek:

Have you tried pumping your tyres up, or using the pedals rather than pushing yourself along using your feet on the ground?:rotfl:
  • As a proud 'Auntie' of MSE Jenny, I admire her for running to work but am a bit concerned that it won't be so lovely in the winter. Two possible solutions come to mind, either she is nominated for employee of the month and wins enough money to cover her gym membership or I must give her more money for Christmas! Well done Jen, I'm proud of you!
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aww what a nice Auntie!

I would recommend a gel seat if you are cycling, makes such a difference, I think they are about £6 in Wilkinsons, I was given mine by someone who insisted I needed one.

Jenny, I don't have much road sense but I did get used to the level of traffic, mind you I am not in a busy place although tractors overtaking me are a little scary!

Good look with it & keep us informed please :)

mini
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport