Money Moral Dilemma: Should Naomi fire Annie?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 5 January 2010 at 6:42PM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Naomi fire Annie?

Naomi is the editor of a successful magazine - her long time friend Annie is a talented jobless writer, who's just got divorced and currently has some major health issues - so to help she hires her. Yet after a few weeks it's all missed deadlines and excuses - should she fire her while she's suffering?

Click reply to have your say

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• onlineo
    onlineo Posts: 46 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2010 at 12:41AM
    In one word. Yes

In more words, treat her how you would treat any other employee. In this instance a verbal warning followed by a written final warning, then out.

She is your friend, but she could seriously drag your business and with it your livelihood down and that would really put a strain on your friendship. Tough love is sometimes what people need to buck themselve up (helped me!).

Edit: reread, you are only the edditer, not owner. Decision still stands as she could disrupt your team, and thus results and your future career.
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2010 at 1:31AM
    No. If she's going to hire her out of pity like that (if this was the question in itself I'd say don't do it, mind!) then she must've at least had the sense to know what the risks were in hiring someone going through such an unstable time. It'd just be messing her around to fire her again as soon as the risks come true.

If you're going to be a friend, be a friend. Provide advice and support (perhaps company paid counselling) to get her on the right track, give her the 3 month probation that most companies allow when they hire someone and give more than the bare legal minimum warnings. Or don't hire her 'to help her' in the first place.

People should make up their minds whether they're being nice or hardarse, and stick to it - being nice and then turning on her is worse than either.
  • andy40
    andy40 Posts: 171
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I agree with Cloudane, if the reason Naomi hired Annie was to help her then Naomi should see it through.
    Within reason of course.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Depends what the 'major health issues' are: consider the provisions of the Disability Discrimination Act carefully!
    Mental health problems ARE covered by the Act.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,234
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Perhaps offer her a period of compassionate leave, ands/or allow her to work on a freelance basis.
  • This is the sort of problem that rears its head when someone breaks that old rule "never mix money and friendship". Naomi is an editor and is paid to be a good one; so her own job could be at risk if she's seen to be favouring a friend at the cost of the business, not to mention the build-up of resentment amongst her colleagues.

First step would be to talk to Annie seriously, highlighting the occasions where she's missed deadlines/hasn't done the work (all this needs to be written down). Then to tell her that things HAVE to improve, otherwise she can't keep her on the staff.

Then, consult the HR department and find out what the company's legal position is.

It may be that Annie is simply not ready to go back to work and needs to be "let go" in order to be eligible for benefits, and other help. As a friend, Naomi could offer to help in other ways - but not by re-employing her.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Naomi should be fired for hiring friends, rather than the best candidate for a job.

She would have to check the contract they signed about probationary periods and so on. They did sign a contract, didn't they?
  • gobbo
    gobbo Posts: 96
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes , there are too many waste of spaces being employed these days - tell her to get a job that she can do
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
    Should Naomi fire Annie?

Naomi is the editor of a successful magazine - her long time friend Annie is a talented jobless writer, who's just got divorced and currently has some major health issues - so to help she hires her. Yet after a few weeks it's all missed deadlines and excuses - should she fire her while she's suffering?

Click reply to have your say

threadbanner.gif
  • Yes, get rid of her. Do it in a nice way, but business is not the place for excuses and sloppy standards. Millions of people would kill for the opportunity that she's treating disrespectfully.

As someone who runs a small business and HAS employed friends, I know how hard it can be. In my case, they were all employed for their skills, but people WILL try to push their luck when they are friends, and it's not on.

Naomi has been a good friend to help a mate out when she needed support (and money!!!!) and the 'mate' has stabbed her in the back by being useless. If I were her, I'd have a quiet by serious word explaining what a difficult position she is putting me in, and that if she feels that she can't commit to the work then she's better of taking some time to sort herself out. In other words.... pull your socks up love and get a grip!
  • She maybe shouldn't have hired her in the first place, but she needs to use her management skills to get Annie back on the right track.
    All industrial disputes and cases of poor performance are down to bad management.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure