'Second in most trusted biz journalist poll, but I’m not a business journalist' blog

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• russell07
    russell07 Posts: 59 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2009 at 3:37PM
    It does say "Business and finance" journalist - so I guess as they've asked members of the public they hear finance and automatically assume money and savings, etc. and think of Martin.

Like you say there aren't many well known "(personal) finance" journalists these days moreover any known so widely as Martin, and therefore the mass public would immediately group Martin and finance together which I believe is right.
    Russell
  • Paul Lewis would be ideal for your proposed new job in BBC News. He really knows his stuff, assuming I'm right in thinking he's the host of Radio 4's Money box.
    I generally post and run. You probably wont be able to engage me in conversation as I probably wont be around to read replies....
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Paul Lewis would be ideal for your proposed new job in BBC News. He really knows his stuff, assuming I'm right in thinking he's the host of Radio 4's Money box.

He is - and you'll see he's in my blog this (though i suspect he wouldn't do the job and would prefer sticking with Moneybox)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm with the first poster, above, on this: the quote on your own page gives the title of the poll as being for the "favourite business and finance journalist".

But I'm also with you, Martin - the BBC is really starting to be very weird about personal finance - before last week, when they called you over for that live interview on the bank charges thing, I was beginning to think they had a bit of a thing against you for not being a home grown BBC journalist..... and because they don't have anyone of your stature who *is* homegrown, maybe they don't want to have a personal finance editor, they couldn't compete with you - and for all the BBC is public sector, its *very* into competition these days.

I guess I'm rabbiting - I'm still ill with the leftovers of some flu ........ I'm just glad to see the twin arms of what you fight for - debt repayment and consumer revenge - get more publicity, especially good publicity.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • MSE_Martin
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I'm with the first poster, above, on this: the quote on your own page gives the title of the poll as being for the "favourite business and finance journalist".

But I'm also with you, Martin - the BBC is really starting to be very weird about personal finance - before last week, when they called you over for that live interview on the bank charges thing, I was beginning to think they had a bit of a thing against you for not being a home grown BBC journalist..... and because they don't have anyone of your stature who *is* homegrown, maybe they don't want to have a personal finance editor, they couldn't compete with you - and for all the BBC is public sector, its *very* into competition these days.

I guess I'm rabbiting - I'm still ill with the leftovers of some flu ........ I'm just glad to see the twin arms of what you fight for - debt repayment and consumer revenge - get more publicity, especially good publicity.

While it says business and finance - the list is all biz journalists as far as i can see and 'business and finance' usually means the city - it excludes PF.

Martin
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
  • WASHER
    WASHER Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    I understand about not being a business journalist, but surely just having your name on the list will give you more publicity, and more people will google you and find this fab site.

I would have liked Jeff Randall at number one though...I have to switch off the tv when Robert Peston is on, I cannot abide his voice.
  • MSE_Martin wrote: »
    While it says business and finance - the list is all biz journalists as far as i can see and 'business and finance' usually means the city - it excludes PF.

Martin

The key point is that they've specifically asked members of the public for their personal top business and finance journalist. They may have (perhaps incorrectly) assumed the question meant business and/or finance journalist and hence put forward your name (under finance).

Whether or not the list contains all business, all finance, or all business and finance journalists is simply a reflection of how well the respondees have understood the question, not necessarily a reflection of how the media see the business finance journalism field.
    Russell
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    russell07 wrote: »
    The key point is that they've specifically asked members of the public for their personal top business and finance journalist

Russell, I think you have it! No matter what categories professionals may think of themselves in, a journalist who deals with finance is a finance journalist in the eyes of the public - and I count myself in that.

Its the lumping together of the public and journalists into the same poll thats produced the confusion......
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • anything concerning the ordinary joe gets lumped in as 'consumer journalism' which makes people think of anne 'nervous twitch' robinson on watchdog

as we have things now, people see martin as the trusted person that tells things as they are, we as consumers dont get that for our money, only for info of what big companies are doing
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • MSE_Martin
    Just added an update to the blog...

Just seen this guardian piece http://www.guardian.co.uk/gnm-press-office/press-gazette-top-50-business-journalists

In it it says,

"The BBC's Robert Peston took the top spot, with Martin Lewis from MoneySavingExpert.com in second place, although all his votes came from the public."

So it seems it was the public not the journalists who were confusing biz and finance journalists - in which case its not so bad and is rather nice that some thought of me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport