What were the "10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight" - BBC Wednesday

Options
I can only remember 7 of the things from this bbc wednesday program

1. smaller plate
  2. protein for fuller
  3. soup for fuller
  4. exercise for after burn 22 hours after exercise.
  5. low fat diary therefore eating more calcium which allow you to absorb less fat e.g cottage cheese & skimmed milk
  6. reduce calories intake
  7. keep moving all the time to do 200 calories of exercise a day in daily routine
What are the other 3 things.
“…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"

Comments

• Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    8. Variety of food on offer leads you to eat more....
    9. Always eat breakfast
    10. :confused:
    [
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    didn't see the programme but have you looked on the BBC website? quite often they will have a page or mini site dedicated to the programme.

If all else fails it's probably available on iplayer for the next month - you can watch it again.

hope you manage to find the info you need. Congrats on your impressive sig by the way - sounds like you're already on the right track :j
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 May 2009 at 11:54PM
    Options
    didn't see the programme but have you looked on the BBC website? quite often they will have a page or mini site dedicated to the programme.

If all else fails it's probably available on iplayer for the next month - you can watch it again.

hope you manage to find the info you need. Congrats on your impressive sig by the way - sounds like you're already on the right track :j

I just watched the program & could not see info online for it. I listed all the tips I could remember.. I did not want to watch the whole hour again. I wish I can say it was easy to loose the weight so far but it has not been. I am constantly watching what I am doing and looking for the next thing to do with my lifestyle to get a little more weight off. Fitting exercise is hard. I like the being active all day to burn off 200 calories.

How much exercise do you need to do to activate the "after burn" effect? Can you do 15mins power walking?
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • Queen.For.A.Day
    Options
    HappySad wrote: »
    I just watched the program & could not see info online for it.
    I just spent several fruitless minutes looking for meaningful information on the BBC site about this programme, but there is no detailed information for this interesting programme.

I've noticed this with other progs since the most recent Beeb site redesign. :o
    Wow, lots of space here!
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2009 at 5:26PM
    Options
    The 10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight are:

1. Don't skip meals

However intermittent fasting is an excellent way to improve your weight loss regime. Extending the time of a fast can indeed improve wieght loss

2. Use a smaller plate
    Well if you use low carb eating you naturally reduce your hunger cravings and don't therefore have to worry about portion size

3. Count your calories
    I've never counted calories and never intend to. If you look at primitive peoples on the whole they are naturally slim because they are not eating refined carbs or omega 6 vegetable oils.

4. Don't blame your metabolism
    Agree. Your metabolisim will alter in line with the exercise you do and the foods you eat. So boost your metabolism by changing to coconut oil and cutting out the carbs

5. Protein staves off hunger pangs
    But don't go mad on the protein, it's the fat content of your diet you need to increase to really stave off the hunger pangs.

6. Soup keeps you feeling fuller for longer
    But there is no need to liquidize them, you want your digestive system to have to do some of the work breaking down the foods

7. The wider the choice, the more you eat

8. Low fat dairy helps you excrete more fat

9. Exercise goes on burning fat, even while you sleep

10. Keep moving and lose weight

I'll leave commenting on the others till I've watch the end. I got so fed up with shouting at the computer I had to stop watching it first time round.
    Programme here for those who can stand it
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Queen.For.A.Day
    Options
    7. The wider the choice, the more you eat

9. Exercise goes on burning fat, even while you sleep
    I think these two fall into the category of
    Things You Don't Need to Know About Losing Weight.

What would be the solution to Number 7?

Move to a poor country that doesn't grow much and can't afford to import food?

Become an astronaut??

And how does Number 9 help?

I almost drew the conclusion from this section that exercise was not worth doing.

Having said that, I found the rest of the prog interesting and useful.

I like the bit where he had to guess the calorific content of various dishes such as a fruit salad, cake, chicken and spuds etc. all of which had the same calorific value.
    Wow, lots of space here!
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 May 2009 at 11:51PM
    Options
    I think these two fall into the category of
    Things You Don't Need to Know About Losing Weight.

What would be the solution to Number 7?

Move to a poor country that doesn't grow much and can't afford to import food?

Become an astronaut??

And how does Number 9 help?

I almost drew the conclusion from this section that exercise was not worth doing.

Having said that, I found the rest of the prog interesting and useful.

I like the bit where he had to guess the calorific content of various dishes such as a fruit salad, cake, chicken and spuds etc. all of which had the same calorific value.

I think this was a fairly calm and sensible programme.

Most helpful however I think to people who are managing their weight reasonably well and are looking for long-term strategies to keep things under control.

I think you're being a bit extreme about the points raised.

An example of how people eat more given more variety was demonstrated in the case of buffet type meals. In practical terms, the suggestion would be limit the choices available at a meal.

Number 9 helps,in that if you raise your metabolic rate through exercise, you continue to burn calories at the higher rate for a period after finishing exercise. This may not make a dramatic difference if you are trying to lose large amounts of weight but can be helpful in weight management and general fitness.

The strategies were particularly useful I think for people wanting to keep control of their weight and avoid the insidious gains that creep on, particularly as you get older and your daily calorie requirement diminishes.
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    It's being repeated next Saturday morning (6th June) at 01.25am on BBC1.
    :wave:
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks you noonesperfect, I'll put a reminder in my phone so I don't miss it again.
    I've bought myself a new book, an army fitness one, it has all the excercises in that the army uses. Trouble is now I've looked at it I need a nap :o;)
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    Options
    You can watch it now on BBC iplayer

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts