IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Private parking ticket-need a bit of help!

Options
I've had a look around and haven't really found an answer to this so I was hoping somebody could help.

I got a £60 fine for parking on uni property without a permit, the fine was administered by "Parkforce", it says £60 fine if paid within 14 days, £85 afterwards, then £135 if forwarded to civil enforcement agent for collection. All the details on the ticket are correct-time, date etc...except it doesn't say where I parked...not even any mention of the uni or anything.

Now, the problem is-do I owe this money to uni or to the parking agency? Because if I don't pay outstanding debts to the university they won't let me graduate.

I admit I parked there without a permit, although where I parked there wasn't a sign on those bays, only one directly across the road saying 'Warning...legal contract if parking beyond this poiint blah blah blah".

I can only appeal by post so if it is rejected I will have to pay £85.

What should I do, I don't want scary bailiffs landing on my doorstep?!!! I'm about concerned about the uni aspect of it too. I think it's just that a private company administers the parking for the site... there's loads of legal stuff on the back like "this parking charge has been lawfully issued and the collection procedure will be processed in accordance with the Administration of Justice Act 1970. etc.

(Sorry, not able to scan in it atm but can try later).

Thanks.

Comments

• MaximumImpact
    Options
    It's not a fine....it's an invoice for parking. Lots of scare tactics on the back and it's a load of tosh.

Ignore it, don't reply and don't worry.........

Only Police and Council can issue fines for parking.

If you are in any doubt go here....

https://www.pepipoo.com

Lots of companies scam money out of motorists this way......
    '' A man who defends himself, has a fool for a client''
  • MaximumImpact
    Options
    WHOOPS!!! Puter knackered!!!
    '' A man who defends himself, has a fool for a client''
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What section of the Administration of Justice Act would that be, I wonder?

The one that says it's illegal to demand money from someone, by sending them something pretending to be an official document?

The Administration of Justice Act 1970.

Section 40 of the act provides that a person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under contract, he or she:
    1. harasses the other with demands for payment which by their frequency, or the manner or occasion of their making, or any accompanying threat or publicity are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation;
    2. falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;
    3. falsely represent themselves to be authorised in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment;
    4. utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character or purporting to have some official character which he knows it has not.
    What a bunch of idiots.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
  • staplecom
    Options
    I received one of these dam ParkForce £60 pieces of paper today. Very annoying indeed. Having searched around, the consensus seems to be that they are unenforceable and DONT PAY.

Unfortunately I just telephoned Europcar who I have a long term rental from, and I was worried about what their take on it was. I was told on the telephone that they usually pay the fines as they come in and then chase the Hirer for payment, (or no doubt just take it from the credit card details on file.)

Shall I just pay it at £60 and learn my lesson, or battle it out with Parkforce and Europcar. That is going to be too much effort I'm sure.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    staplecom wrote: »
    I received one of these dam ParkForce £60 pieces of paper today. Very annoying indeed. Having searched around, the consensus seems to be that they are unenforceable and DONT PAY.

Unfortunately I just telephoned Europcar who I have a long term rental from, and I was worried about what their take on it was. I was told on the telephone that they usually pay the fines as they come in and then chase the Hirer for payment, (or no doubt just take it from the credit card details on file.)

Shall I just pay it at £60 and learn my lesson, or battle it out with Parkforce and Europcar. That is going to be too much effort I'm sure.

Read the terms of your agreement with Europcar - do they say they will pay ANY invoices? Or do they refer to fines and penalties? If the latter, then they cannot claim it back from you. If the former, then you need to be firm and tell them that it's an unenforceable invoice and you won't be paying. They should know better than to pay; they must see enough of them to know they aren't genuine fines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport