January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Stifado

they recipe says it will serve 5-6 ... but as we know -1kg meat will do more -plus its rich so you don't need loads ;)
    you can also make it with rabbit/hare or veal - I can vouch for all 3 :D
    1. 1kg (2.2LB) Chuck or shin beef
    2. 3-4tbs flour
    3. 1/2 cup olive oil
    4. 1/2 cup red wine
    5. 2 cloves garlic -bashed
    6. bay leaves
    7. 3 cups hot water
    8. 1kg (2.2lb) baby onions -peeled
    9. 2-3 pieces cinnamon
    10. 2-3 cloves
    11. 1tbs tomato puree mixed with 1/2 cup hot water
    12. salt + pepper
    • cut the beef into big cubes
    • mix the flour with the salt and pepper -and toss the beef in to coat
    • heat the oil , add the meat in and brown slightly
    • add the wine, garlic and bay leaves and 3 cups of hot water -cover and simmer until the meat is tender
    • add the onions, tomato puree, cinnamon and cloves -(you can tie the cloves and cinnamon in a piece of muslin to save trying to find them later:p ) simmer for 1hr
    you can make it cheaper by using less oil and by using normal onions -peel them and cut into 1/4s with a bit of the root end on so they don't drop to pieces
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • I fancy making a quiche, the recipe I have seen says it needs cream, can it be done with out the cream? sorry for such a short post :beer:
    Hi there fallen angel, yes you can. I don`t stick to a recipe, I make my own up as I go along(like to mess about and experiment). I made a quiche the other day without any cream and turned out fine. HTH
    By the way I`ve also used plain yoghurt (HM) instead of cream before.

MrsM the stifado recipe sounds delish, will have to give this a go tomorrow. Only paper today, so have updated sig.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Just in case anyone needs to stock up on basmati rice, Mr T's has 5kg bags for £4.99, they have a flash on them saying special offer, and were next to the normal 5kg bags priced at £9.99! Great price as Asda's smart price stuff is 97p a kilo!

Also Cathedral City cheese is £2.00 for 400g - fab, as we get through a LOT of cheese in this house!

Whilst I'm not officially doing the GC any more, I am still getting loads of tips and inspiration from this thread when I pop in, so thanks to everyone! I am keeping a record of my spending and it's amazing how much less I'm now spending since I started!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • £4.50 for me today in Mr M's, I was a very good girl and only bought what I really needed......milk, bananas, apples and value choc mousses for kids :D

Edit: I always make quiche with milk and it is fine! Feel like making a few now too!

Just making hm apple sauce to go with pork loin steaks mash and veg for tea yummy!
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• Went to Mr T's today and gone a bit mad as you can see! but i do now have nappies, wipes and formula for the rest of the month!! Forgot my list though and gave in to the munchies and bought sausage rolls for my lunch! I did get a good bargain though - their 4pack of dips ( not the value one but the next one up!) was reduced to 50p from £2 and their creamy coleslaw was 17p instead of 66p so I was quite chuffed!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • mrssnowy_2
    mrssnowy_2 Posts: 403
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Must admit I felt a bit 'uncomfortable' about something on another thread somewhere. It was about people buying things when they are BOGOF etc etc - one person was saying how they bought (what seemed to me) to be huge amounts of stuff. I can't help thinking oh god that's so greedy. Talked to OH & he says I have unclear vision of modern life! I agree wholeheartedly re keeping a 'larder' of things, but just seems to me that some people are so greedy?? (Please don't shoot me down - I'm not talking about anyone on here - it was an observation).

Interesting observation mouseymousey,but peoples circumstances differ so much.I work and am carer for my husband,we live 11 miles from nearest supermarket(do have a local Spar,at a price)if I didn't take advantage of offers when I shopped and kept my storecupboard stocked we could be in queer street quite soon,also I wouldn't have time for anything else.So because I am fairly organised I only have to do a supermarket shop every 3 weeks,saving petrol in the process.
    Am I greedy or 'green'?
    mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    i regularly feed 6 - 3 of ours still at home and daughters bf is always here at meal times. so bogofs on things i use are a godsend. i wouldnt buy things i dont use but if there is a long enough date on offers i try to stock up if i can afford to.

almost managed a NSD yesterday just needed a pack of mushrooms to add some to the veggie lasagne i did for last nights tea.

got to buy milk today as i only have enough left for one cup of tea:eek: .

was doing hm pizza for tonight but only enough cheese left for tomorrows pack up so going to have a shifty in the freezer and see what ive got the makings of.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mrssnowy_2
    Forumite
    Steel wrote: »
    Local mobile butcher just rolled up and I spent £8.98.

Three big chicken breasts (2.99)
    Three thick pork steaks in maple syrup marinade (2.99)
    1lb pork and leek sausages (8) (2.99)

There's enough there for 7 meals (possibly 8 at a squeak) and I still have meat in the freezer. Think I paid too much for the sausages though - impulse buy goes wrong as usual.

Total for the month so far is £75.09. £24.91 left.

Re the sausages,if there were 8 in 1lb then they must be heftyish ones therefore if you have 2 for a meal then not bad unit price IYSWIM :rotfl:
    How to justify the cost etc!
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mrssnowy wrote: »
    Re the sausages,if there were 8 in 1lb then they must be heftyish ones therefore if you have 2 for a meal then not bad unit price IYSWIM :rotfl:
    How to justify the cost etc!

I've been trying to do that for the last two days, but it's no good! They were expensive considering I never usually pay more than about £1.60 for 8 in Mr Ts.

Just found out hubbie bought some cornish pasties for the next four days at work (£1.64), a canteen sandwich for a bit of a change (£1.64) and a bag of sweets (£1). So that's £4.28 on next to nothing. Grrrr.
    "carpe that diem"
  • mrssnowy_2
    Forumite
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Kiwisaver.... was it you doing the Greek evening?

If so -let me know if you get stuck for recipes -I got a lovely book when I went to Kefalonia -so I might be able to help ;)
    all I can say is "stiffado" or "kleftico" (sp?) droolllllll

Oooh isn't Kefalonia wonderful,dying to go back to Fiskardo,nearly 2 years since last there.Flipping £.
    Think I might have the same book:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure